Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Giving up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving up...

If you recall I was asking about how to maintain my brilliant black A4 a while back...I've given up on scratch patrol on my own...I'm convinced I know how not to make the problem worse, but I want to know what to look for in an auto detailer that I can take my car to consistently. There are A LOT of detailers here (Orange County) but I don't know what services I'm looking for...what should I make sure they're doing to remove the swirls? Don't want to spend more on things that might make it worse so I thought I'd check back here first..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dude I hear ya'. This color is a pain to keep up with =>

Check the thread below. Friend recommended this product for getting rid of swirls and correcting clear coat scratches. Just ordered today. I'll let you know how it does.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Dude I hear ya'. This color is a pain to keep up with =>

yeah let me know, that probably won't be a good idea for the entire body of the car...but good to know it it'll work on small portions - I've been considering debadging but I'm afraid of the aftermath - post a picture when you're done would love to see on black...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I sure will. I just gotta give it some finishing touches =>>

Interesting enough.. the 2.0 T side with all the badges and the quattro is the one that cleaned up pretty good. Im sure you'll like it, would make yours look even more stealth.

Also.. try this. I apply spray wax onto a polishing rag and seal it in a plastic bag over night or a couple a days. At the end you'll get a cloth that always polishes and leaves clean finishes because it soaks in the wax. You can spray it every now and then to cheat. haha
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not try asking on the California regional forum? Good source for this kinda thing..
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, but once you wash the "rag", you've lost the wax, and if you don't wash it...

you're just re-rubbing a dirty rag over the car. What's wrong with misting the cloth and panel with detailing spray and wiping it down? (not something I like doing, because you'll still get swirls, but if you can't use soap and water, it'll do)
Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You need to skip on the people using products that hide scratches and swirls.

Many will use glazes and skip a true polish. That will hide your swirls until the next car wash, then you'll be back where you started. You also need to pass on detailers that don't know how to work a rotary. Unfortunately, that's a little harder. Find a previous customer that has had their car detailed, and view that car after a car wash. Of course if that customer isn't detail oriented and doesn't know how to minimize swirling while washing the car, it's kinda pointless. But at the very least, if there are signs of hologramming or other machine artifacts, you will see them...that's something to specifically avoid.

Best bet is to find local fanatics, maybe on some of the porsche forums or autopia.org. You're fortunate that you're in an area where there is probably an abundance of detailers. Finding a good one might be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but at least it's easier than mining for a diamond.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As much as I love black cars ...

I'll never buy one, never. Just too much work keeping them looking perfect. Every single mark shows up - full time job keeping up.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You could just learn to polish...it's not difficult

And you might actually come to enjoy it
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wish I had the patience...

unfortunately I'm always low on time and am very OCD, so I foresee it coming out worse than it currently is, which would drive me crazy...

Quick Reply: Giving up...