Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How hard is Audi clearcoat?

Old 12-22-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts
Default How hard is Audi clearcoat?

As my factory build gets processed, I can change the color until the built slot gets locked in.

I am debating getting a darker car (let's just assume "black" for all intents and purposes). The car will never see an automatic car wash, and will be washed appropriately by yours truly by hand - each and every time.

That said, I don't know how hard Audi's clearcoat is. I've owned an Audi years ago and the clearcoat was not that hard (not as hard as MB as an example). I'm fairly certain things have changed, but can anyone here comment on whether or not a black car made by Audi will still swirl up if washed appropriately?
Old 12-22-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Short answer is that its pretty hard. Mercedes and Audi have 2 of the hardest paint with Merc's being the best. As contrast Lexus paints are very soft. However, 2 things to help mitigate swirls on Black cars:

1) Get metallic black like Phantom or Mythos instead of the non-metallic like Brilliant Black. Metallic paints hide swirls much better than non.

2) You got the right idea about hand wash. 2 bucket approach, grit guards, quality products (Griots, CarPro, Adams) and easy drying, etc... that will also help prevent swirls. Really ambitious get a Master Blaster to dry the car so a drying towel never touches your paint

My '15 Phantom black A7 got polished and sealed each Spring and with proper washing swirl marks were never an issue.

Picked up my new '19 A7 this week in Mythos black and first stop was to have a ceramic coating on the car. That will also prevent swirls while also protecting the car for years. Cost to have a pro do it is $500-$1K plus the cost to do a stage 1 paint correction before application.

Any other questions let me know
Old 12-22-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Short answer is that its pretty hard. Mercedes and Audi have 2 of the hardest paint with Merc's being the best. As contrast Lexus paints are very soft. However, 2 things to help mitigate swirls on Black cars:

1) Get metallic black like Phantom or Mythos instead of the non-metallic like Brilliant Black. Metallic paints hide swirls much better than non.

2) You got the right idea about hand wash. 2 bucket approach, grit guards, quality products (Griots, CarPro, Adams) and easy drying, etc... that will also help prevent swirls. Really ambitious get a Master Blaster to dry the car so a drying towel never touches your paint

My '15 Phantom black A7 got polished and sealed each Spring and with proper washing swirl marks were never an issue.

Picked up my new '19 A7 this week in Mythos black and first stop was to have a ceramic coating on the car. That will also prevent swirls while also protecting the car for years. Cost to have a pro do it is $500-$1K plus the cost to do a stage 1 paint correction before application.

Any other questions let me know
This is awesome. Thanks.

Did your 2015 A7 have ceramic on it?
Old 12-22-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I want to share something that has got me a little bent out of shape, but nothing this guy has said has made me think for a second he's wrong.

Maybe I need to look at at a mirror. Maybe I've been fooled by this detailing industry.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No ceramic on my old 2015. A year ago I got my then new 911 coated. This was the first time I did a coating. I have to admit I was skeptical, but a year in I’m converted. Ceramic coatings are the (current) holy grail for car care

i spend 2x more time cleaning the wheels on the Porsche than the rest of the car. With the coating washing / drying is a breeze. No more polishing or waxing either.

All that hat said the key to ceramic coating is finding a quality shop to do it. Some DIY products on the market, but a quality coating should be applied after the paint is polished and then in a dust free environment. My CQuartz Pro coating will be “baked” on with heat lamps to ensure an even layer. Pros will do this much better than DIY’ers in their garage. Also a quality product with proper install will last 3-5 years depending on use and maintenance.