Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Latest detailing choices

Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest detailing choices

Hey all-
I have done some searching before asking and it sometimes seems like there is more info than is worth trolling through.

It's been years since I have done proper detailing myself and my gear is all long gone. That said, I'm out of the loop as to what is out there to use from clay bars to pads to machines and material. To give an idea of where I started at and was sold on at the time it was a product called Zaino and my trusty DA machine.

So now I'm sitting on a 2013 metallic pearl black S4 and would like to stop paying someone to do the dirty work.
I know that Wolfgang is here in a big way but to be fair I would like to be able to compare and contrast products and see where the "you get what you pay for" falls.

Thanks in advance!
bob.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Obviously you have a lot of choices in detailing these days. I'm a fan of Griots products and have used them for years, but Wolfgang, Adams, Mothers and Meguiars are all good products.

My advice is whatever products you go with use them as directed and you will be a lot happier. For example some waxes/sealants require a cure time before removal. If you try and rush the process the results will not be good.

My detailing process is this:

- Standard wash with Griots soap and wheel cleaner (2 bucket method)
- Griots Paint prep to remove residual wax/sealant
- Clay the car (you would be amazed at the amount of contaminants in the paint)
- Griots Machine #3 polish applied with 6" Random Orbital
- Either Griots Best of Show wax OR Griots Sealant depending on which car

Most important is have fun (along with a couple beers).
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by rcronin96

Thanks in advance!
bob.
Bob, do you want to talk about what you already own or do we assume you're starting from scratch?

I'd try to understand the theory around modern coatings that are available. That's sort of the latest 'n' greatest right now.

What DA machine do you own?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gloss-it makes great products. Easy to use. Lots of YouTube videos. I pickup up my Cyclo from them. I use all their products. Best tire shine ever!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Bob, do you want to talk about what you already own or do we assume you're starting from scratch?

I'd try to understand the theory around modern coatings that are available. That's sort of the latest 'n' greatest right now.

What DA machine do you own?

I don't have any gear anymore and want to get back into doing my own work. When I was doing this I was actually pretty good at it but the last time I detailed a car it was 2006.
That said, I was using clay bars and the latest porter cable D/A.

What I have been reading is there is now possibly something better than the clay bar with the same results. Nothing worse than opening a new bar and moments later dropping it on the ground only to have to throw it away. The new pads or whatever they are called now seem great in that you simply rinse it off and keep going.

I'm more into working smarter not harder and yet I don't want to use something that saves steps in exchange of a poor result.

Chicago provided a sample of his kit. Can I please have another example of a kit?
More importantly too is the compatibility of mixing products, (not staying in the same product line from start to finish).

I want to be able to have:
Proper wash soap.
Proper wash mitts. (I like using one in each hand)
Proper towels.
Proper between wash detailing towels.
Proper contaminate removal (pads or bar?)
Wax.
Material for light swirl or scuff removal.
Proper buffing pads, bonnets and quantities.
Latest D/A machine.

Thanks for your input so far folks!
I'll continue to dig on my own but I find that specific direction speeds up my homework.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcronin96
I want to be able to have:
Proper wash soap.
Proper wash mitts. (I like using one in each hand)
Proper towels.
Proper between wash detailing towels.
Proper contaminate removal (pads or bar?)
Wax.
Material for light swirl or scuff removal.
Proper buffing pads, bonnets and quantities.
Latest D/A machine.
Proper Wash Soap:
You need to get something that has a high lubricity to it. Wolfgang Auto Bathe is insane slick and allows a wash mitt to GLIDE across the paint, not grab the dirt and drag it across the clearcoat. But you definitely need to get a GOOD shampoo, that's a must. Wolfgang Auto Bathe
Proper wash mitts:
My favorite right now is the Koala Koala Wash Mitt
Proper towels:
Drying? If so, The Guzzler Waffle Weave Towel
Proper between wash detailing towels:
Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towels
Proper contaminate removal (pads or bar?):
This is a pad that goes on a buffer that replaces the use of clay bars. Much easier to play with and aren't ruined if dropped. Nanoskin Autoscrub System Start Up Kit
Wax:
All personal preference: you may think you need a $200 wax to make a car look good or you may think a $10 wax is all that's needed.
Material for light swirl or scuff removal:
Anything with a diminishing abrasive will be easier to work with. Longer buffing cycle, won't dry out, finish much smoother, and wiped off much easier.
Proper buffing pads, bonnets and quantities:
Look at Lake Country Buffing Pads Company
Latest D/A machine:
The Flex XC3401 is the best in my opinion
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone try the Optimum or Klasse products?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Both have great product offerings, Rex. Klasse is known for their AIO and Sealant Glaze, seems to have faded a bit from the mainstream given all the new products showing up. Optimum offers a very comprehensive line up from polishes to the now famous OptiCoat (permanent) coating.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go to Detailers Domain website or call up Phil there and he will give you an education on what is new and best.
He can set you up with all your needs. I used to use Zaino which is a very durable long lasting product. But the shine wasn't the deepest. Phil hooked me up with Sonax Polymer Net Sheild and it has a much deeper shine. It's also supposed to be very durable like Zaino. Phil detailed my car recently. Go to the All Season Detail-Salt Removal-14 Audi RS5 thread andy you can see my car and what he used. See what you think.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.autogeek.net you will get everything you need there.. Good write ups etc.. Click on the forums link once on the main page.. I have a black on blk Q7 I will be using a number of different products with in the next couple of weeks. I will post products and results once done .. I spent about 130 in products not including the DA (dual action) polisher.

Last edited by BC1999; 05-23-2014 at 11:46 PM.