Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Paint hardness (for polishing) on 2015 Glacier White metallic SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint hardness (for polishing) on 2015 Glacier White metallic SQ5

NOTE - I posted this message on the Q5/SQ5 forum earlier today. I realize this is poor forum etiquette, but I was not aware there was a forum dedicated to Detailing on AudiWorld. My apologies for "double-posting"!!

Hi guys,
I purchased my 2015 Glacier White metallic SQ5 last September, & after our harsh Canadian winter it is showing some mild-moderate swirls & fine clear coat scratches. I'm planning of doing a mild polishing job with my random-orbital polisher in the next week or two to get some of the swirls out, & just wondering what people's experience is in terms of paint hardness with this colour from Audi (especially in 2015 models). I've had good success with my previous vehicle (BMW X3) with a combination of a mild compound (BlackFire Scratch Resistant Clear compound), followed by the BlackFire SRC polish. I would obviously try the polish first to see if that was enough, & would only try the compound if the swirls were still prominent. Just curious if anyone has had experience in polishing this paint colour?

I typically also do a treatment with CarPro IronX before claying in the spring to remove the oxidized "reddish" material that builds up over time (especially in the winter). Menzerna is probably the most well-respected name in auto polishes, & I originally chose the BlackFire products as they are developed by Menzerna (for BlackFire). I've had good success with the BlackFire combo on my previous BMW (i.e. with an orange & a green Lake Country CCS pad respectively), but I just wasn't sure if the compound would be too harsh for the paint on my SQ5. I've "heard" that Audi paint is typically very hard (or the car coat more correctly), so I wouldn't expect a problem, but I was still planning on doing a test spot with the polish first to see if that would remove the swirls without having to resort to the compound (although I suspect it won't). Thanks for any advice!!

Cheers,

Al
London Ontario Canada
Old 06-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zune
NOTE - I posted this message on the Q5/SQ5 forum earlier today. I realize this is poor forum etiquette, but I was not aware there was a forum dedicated to Detailing on AudiWorld. My apologies for "double-posting"!!

Hi guys,
I purchased my 2015 Glacier White metallic SQ5 last September, & after our harsh Canadian winter it is showing some mild-moderate swirls & fine clear coat scratches. I'm planning of doing a mild polishing job with my random-orbital polisher in the next week or two to get some of the swirls out, & just wondering what people's experience is in terms of paint hardness with this colour from Audi (especially in 2015 models). I've had good success with my previous vehicle (BMW X3) with a combination of a mild compound (BlackFire Scratch Resistant Clear compound), followed by the BlackFire SRC polish. I would obviously try the polish first to see if that was enough, & would only try the compound if the swirls were still prominent. Just curious if anyone has had experience in polishing this paint colour?

I typically also do a treatment with CarPro IronX before claying in the spring to remove the oxidized "reddish" material that builds up over time (especially in the winter). Menzerna is probably the most well-respected name in auto polishes, & I originally chose the BlackFire products as they are developed by Menzerna (for BlackFire). I've had good success with the BlackFire combo on my previous BMW (i.e. with an orange & a green Lake Country CCS pad respectively), but I just wasn't sure if the compound would be too harsh for the paint on my SQ5. I've "heard" that Audi paint is typically very hard (or the car coat more correctly), so I wouldn't expect a problem, but I was still planning on doing a test spot with the polish first to see if that would remove the swirls without having to resort to the compound (although I suspect it won't). Thanks for any advice!!

Cheers,

Al
London Ontario Canada

My wife and I just bought a 2015 CPO A4 with Glacier White. Did you end up trying any products on your Q5?