Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Pressure washers, need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand was yours? Do you recall a model number?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Should be fine if you have a variable pressure trigger...

All pressure washers have enough power to tear up your paint. It comes down to how much pressure you use, and how far you keep it from the paint (and the nozzle type that you use, a pencil tip spray pattern will focus the water more than a fan pattern).

The gas models typically have a beefier pump (and noisier), can operate continually and have a higher flow rate (gals/hr), not necessarily a higher psi.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hit or miss...I've tried my local one in Edison...

I've seen them there before, but not on my last visit (only 1-2 gas models available). Nothing on their website either. But unless there is a model no. listed on the box that I can look up specs on their website, I'm going to avoid it. Lots of manufacturers change the model numbers when they sell to Costco and other "wholesale clubs" which makes it harder to cross reference and compare to models available elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

had a karcher that broke. got a troy bilt 5h Honda at Lowes.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Details on the CAM washer (1500A) that Phil carries...and more general info found.

PITA to find this info, but here it is in case anyone is searching...

"Pumps have ceramic plungers with replaceable stainless steel valves, forged crankshaft, roller bearings in oil bath lubrication."

The ceramic and stainless parts are only found on commercial grade machines, which start around $5XX and go up from there. The forged crankshaft is something unique to CAM, which should be more durable than axial pump designs frequently found on electric models. I'm sure there are other bits and bobbles that make this one more like a commercial unit (brass fittings, etc) since it weighs in at a hefty 68 lbs (handheld? Hah! Needs wheels!). Pressure Washers Direct has it for under $600.

All the consumer grade stuff is basically junk. With most of them, I get the feeling the pump is intended to have a couple hundred hour service life (lots of plastic in there). Replacement parts on the consumer units is generally sketchy, and if it breaks, you'll be lucky to get your hands on replacement parts. I've also heard DIY pump overhauls are a PITA because of all the little parts in the electric units (apparently the gas models are much easier to service since they contain less wiring and switches because they run continuously). Amazon reviews are littered with people breaking the plastic bibs or flanges for the low pressure water feeds and being SOL. If you want a good pump, brass fittings, and more metal than plastic, you have to opt for an entry level commercial quality unit like the CAM. Karcher also has commercial machines but getting details on them online is difficult. They want you to work within their dealer network and make it exceedingly difficult to even find information online. A few dealers have made pdf's of their literature available online, but even that doesn't really tell you what's in the guts.

The CAM is probably one of the least expensive entry level commercial quality electrics, available for just under $600.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yup, i just use the fan pattern and keep a good 3-4 feet away....

no problems. really cleaned the brake dust off..and bmw dust is hard chit.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this guy

<ul><li><a href="http://huskypowerwasher.com/Husky1650Specs.php">http://huskypowerwasher.com/Husky1650Specs.php</a></li></ul>
Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Damn...did a little research on the 2000S (current model) and saw this page full of bad reviews.

I thought a 3 year warranty was great...until I read this page. I think I'm leaning towards the Karcher, just not sure whether it's going to be a consumer or commercial.<ul><li><a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286965/power_washer_review_the_husky_1800.html">http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286965/power_washer_review_the_husky_1800.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

some of the reviews on home depot's site were terrible, too.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Any of you Karcher guys...

Check this attachment out...I like the results, and for $28 shipped, you can't beat it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.buykarcher.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KAR+69645070">http://www.buykarcher.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KAR+69645070</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Pressure washers, need recommendations.