Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Recommendations on interior / exterior protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on interior / exterior protection

I had this posted in the A6 forum. I'm new here and just found this detailing forum which seems like a better place to ask this.

I want to make sure I protect the A6 I'm getting this week. Your recommendations / advice would be appreciated. Are the things below worth doing? What else should I consider?

Door edge and handle cup protection film: 3M makes films that applied to protect these areas. Good to use? Best product?

Carpet and leather seat protection: Scotchguard? I'll replace the Audi floor mats with WeatherTechs, at least for the winter which is sloppy here in New England. For leather Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Protection Cream was recommended.

Paint protection: Is there something I can do other than wax it monthly? I don't have the time for that. Is there a liquid wax or something else I can use? Recommendations were Zaino Z2 and ZFX, another Sonax and Optimum Gloss Coat.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Lot of ground to cover... Detailing your car needs to be a labor or love. If you find it a chore you will rush the job and not be happy with the result. So many products are available that I would recommend that you select products that fit in your time parameters. Some waxes/sealants take a few hours to "set" and if you are pressed for time and try and rush it the results will be poor.

For Interior I keep it simple. I use Griots interior cleaner on all non-leather surfaces and for the leather I use Griots 3-1 Leather cleaner every other month. I have Audi all-weather mats for use all year long, but your right Weathertech makes some great products

Exterior can be very complicated. I also try and keep it simple 3 times per year I clay the car and apply Griots Poly-Wax. Once a year I insert a polish between the clay and poly-wax. I always wash the car by hand to preserve the detail.

You don't need to wax monthly. A good wax will last 3-4 months and a good sealant will last 6-9 months.

I could go on and on, but here is a link to Ammo NYC. Larry has a 90 minute video all about detailing your car for beginners. If course his products are for sale, but he actually makes really good stuff

https://www.ammonyc.com/beginner/

Enjoy!!