Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Removal of holograms and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removal of holograms and swirls

I let a local detailer do my car. It Was overcast For Several Days after and when the sun finally came out there were holograms all over the car. What can I do to remove at home? Will one of those $60 orbital buffers at auto zone work? And with what product? Not looking for perfection just looking for easiest way to remove them. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not know what you mean by holograms? Swirls are a common problem especially on dark colours. The detailer you went to sounds like he did not know what he was doing. There are a ton of questions, colour of your car, what was the paint condition of your car prior to detailing etc.
Take it back to the detailer first and show him your concerns.
Swirls can be hidden or almost removed with a myriad of products and know how. It would take a long time to provide instructions on each procedure and types of products, polishing tools and bonnets etc.
There are detailers and there are detailers!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't recommend the $60 Auto Zone buffer. To do it right you need double action buffer and they are a lot more expensive, they cost about $350 for a good one.

Dave
Old 10-18-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Dual action/random orbital buffers are not that expensive. Check Amazon.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Dual action/random orbital buffers are not that expensive. Check Amazon.
Totally agree.

I'll edit my post, a dual action buffer that I would personally use on my car costs about $350. But I've been accused of being pretty particular when it comes to paint maintenance. 😀
Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

No problem with that. Good tools are almost always worth paying more for.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Griot's Garage or the Porter-Cable are very nice DA polishers.

I'd look at our form sponsor, Detailer's Domain, for a nice pkg when they go on sale or farm the work out to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
No problem with that. Good tools are almost always worth paying more for.
Duke,
I have been cursed by working my way through college at a Ford Motor Company corporate body shop at the Ford Engineering Center in Dearborn. Worked with old school body men that taught me a lot about good body and paint work and, also how to spot paint problems, and how to maintain paint finishes.

I say cursed because I can see the the most insignificant paint flaws. It's made me a real perfectionist. So when I'm after paint maintenance products and tools I find myself gravitating to the upper end and pro level gear if I can swing it.

Sometimes I wish I couldn't see flaws so easily. 😕

Dave
Old 11-15-2016, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Autogeek .com has video's to show how and what to use for all types of paint concerns from the halo's , swirl marks to the cobweb look effect.
Recommends what products to use ...
Old 12-24-2016, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok guys. I know I'm hijacking this thread but I didn't want to create a new one and ending up in too many threads for the same problem.

I bought a new A4 a month and a half back. I've washed her thrice at the local automatic car wash since it's too cold to hand wash her at my house.
I've now noticed a few swirls (visible when light falls on it) on the hood caused by the tags on the microfiber I used to wipe off the remaining water. There are other minor swirls which only I can see (and obviously other detailers/petrolheads too) which I'm planning on getting corrected once winter is over and I get her detailed properly. I'll be hand washing her after she is detailed.
Now my problem is that these few swirls are giving me sleepless nights since that's the first thing I see. I don't have any sort of detailing apparatus or products with my. Is there any swirl remover that I can use by hand to get rid of these swirls? I'm not keen on using a machine since I'm scared I might end up with holograms or burn the paint/clear coat out.
Which pad and swirl mark remover do you guys suggest? I'm willing to put in some elbow grease to remove these swirls. Do I have to do the entire hood or only the part where these noticeable swirls are present?
My car is moonlight blue (very dark blue). Factory paint.

Please do help me out. Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Removal of holograms and swirls