Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Xpel saved me twice, but not the 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Xpel saved me twice, but not the 3rd time

Awhile back I posted how Xpel saved us twice from potentially costly repaints (link below). Briefly, this film has saved us twice from repaint jobs: the front bumper of my A6 and the driver door of my daughter’s Q3 (pictures below),

Unfortunately, Xpel could not save my son’s 2012 Camry**, which was stolen two weeks ago (among other cars and electronics) from his house in Cincinnati where he lives with 7 other college roommates. &%$@# Teenage mutant hoodlums stole and smashed the cars in a police chases. Last attached picture shows that Xpel saved the paint from the telephone pole, but couldn’t protect from that kind of damage.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-time-2960613/

Q3 attacked by concrete post:

After dent suctioned out and new piece of Xpel: brand new

A6 attacked by garage post:

Like new afterward use of paint solvent:

2012 Camry (while no match for a telephone pole following police chase, Xpel managed to save paint...car totaled &^$#*

** Bought Xpel as graduation gifts when oldest two graduated college and bought cars. The 2012 Camry was bought used, driven 70K miles without a scratch and given to his younger brother after buying an A3 last year. Was in perfect shape.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

XPEL is tough but not that tough

sorry to hear about he car.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear. Did the police apprehend the mutants ?
Old 07-04-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Sorry to hear. Did the police apprehend the mutants ?
Nope. Thanks for asking.

My son and his friend witnessed the 1st chase; they actually located one of the stolen cars with the miscreants at a school lot by tracking a roommate's phone which was stolen. Police came and instead of blocking car's only exit, pulled up with guns drawn. Kids took off, smashed two vehicles during the chase, then crashed into a pole and took off, not to be apprehended. Our car was involved in a police chase a few days later, and again the kids escaped. Understand that these juveniles are essentially caught and released with ankle bracelets, which they hack off so that they can continue their mayhem. A camera at a nearby apartment complex got good shots of them....where is Dirty Harry when we need him!

Only good news is that kids were not home when house ransacked, so they are ok - only now more jaded. Bad news: helped my oldest find that certified used Camry with low mileage, Xpelled so no scratches, perfect shape, one year old tires, maintained and had 3 winters in North Carolina...near impossible to find a good used car with those attributes.....
Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
XPEL is tough but not that tough
Yes, I sing praises about that film. Still find it amazing that the pole creased the hood back a few feet, but the paint remained intact. No, I am not an installer nor have any financial interest in the company. Just believe that if I find something that good, I should share info with others. Suggested to the insurance company that they should offer a discount (much like good driver, etc) to those with paint protection film as this would minimize amounts paid for vandalism (scratches, spray paint, minor scrapes, etc) as there would be no need to repaint. The adjuster may have been humoring me, but she said it made sense and would suggest to the higher ups. If Xpel and the other paint protection films companies had marketing sense, they would lobby the major insurance carriers for such a discount. This would cost insurers little as few people spend for film...just a crazy idea.

Also, since this is posted on the detailing forum, I should also sing praises of Optimum No Rinse to those who will listen. Elsewhere on the forum I have posted how I can use this just below freezing, as I have a detached garage. Have people at work addicted to the stuff, and pass out my basic car washing shopping list.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Yes, I sing praises about that film. Still find it amazing that the pole creased the hood back a few feet, but the paint remained intact. No, I am not an installer nor have any financial interest in the company. Just believe that if I find something that good, I should share info with others. Suggested to the insurance company that they should offer a discount (much like good driver, etc) to those with paint protection film as this would minimize amounts paid for vandalism (scratches, spray paint, minor scrapes, etc) as there would be no need to repaint. The adjuster may have been humoring me, but she said it made sense and would suggest to the higher ups. If Xpel and the other paint protection films companies had marketing sense, they would lobby the major insurance carriers for such a discount. This would cost insurers little as few people spend for film...just a crazy idea.

Also, since this is posted on the detailing forum, I should also sing praises of Optimum No Rinse to those who will listen. Elsewhere on the forum I have posted how I can use this just below freezing, as I have a detached garage. Have people at work addicted to the stuff, and pass out my basic car washing shopping list.
I am also a huge fan of XPEL. It is an incredible product.