AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Brakes Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/brakes-discussion-71/)
-   -   2015 A3Q Rear Brake Replacement Questions (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/brakes-discussion-71/2015-a3q-rear-brake-replacement-questions-2966415/)

ksnh1.8tqm 01-30-2019 05:02 PM

2015 A3Q Rear Brake Replacement Questions

I have a 2015 A3Q. A local non-Audi dealer wants to replace my rear brakes (pads & rotors) due to damaged rotors found during a state-required safety inspection. They quoted a reasonable labor rate for my carry-in parts, but I'm not sure that they looked at anything other than a flat rate guide to quote labor. My questions:

1. I have read that VCDS is needed to run the electric e-brake to a pad replacement position, then back to a post-install position prior to self-calibration. Short of having Audi dealer diagnostic/control equipment, would a large "service anything" dealer service center likely have a tool that can command the e-brake, or are they just cluelessly optimistic?

2. Are the rear caliper pistons simply compressed with an adjustable clamp, or do they require a wind-in tool? If need a tool, any suggestions for cheapest effective tool?

3. Are any hardware parts "single use" where they should be replaced as well (bolts, retainer clips, etc.)?

4. Any first-person recommendations for aftermarket pads and/or rotors which improve upon OEM but have no reliability or longevity issues, and which are not so funky as to jeopardize any related extended warranty claims?

5. Any Audi repair manual tips or best practices here (re: heat, rust, torque, etc.) that might not be intuitive but are worth passing on?

TIA!

Valpo A7 02-01-2019 11:18 AM

1. E-brake motors can be removed and avoid needing VCDS to function them.

2. Clamp vs wind in tool. Not sure but should not be a big deal either way. Shops should be equipped with this as it is becoming more common.

3. Clips you should get with the new pads if they are needed. All the bolts should be re-usable. My A7 has a wear sensor that can be reused if not damaged, I would not be surprised if yours has them as well.

4. Personally I like the pads and rotors available through Advanced Auto Parts. Inexpensive but good quality and good stopping power. If you are not gonna track the car then solid rotors is all you need. Cross drilled and or slotted is just bling on a street car.

5. Any reputable non-Audi brake shop should be able to handle the project.

So what did the state inspection say was wrong with your rotors / brakes? I find it kinda hard to believe that a 2015 will have damaged rotors to the point the state inspection flags them.

ksnh1.8tqm 02-01-2019 11:46 AM

Thanks for your reply. The dealer failed the rotors (original, 55K miles) for "delamination".

Originally Posted by Valpo A7 (Post 25270168)

1. E-brake motors can be removed and avoid needing VCDS to function them.

2. Clamp vs wind in tool. Not sure but should not be a big deal either way. Shops should be equipped with this as it is becoming more common.

3. Clips you should get with the new pads if they are needed. All the bolts should be re-usable. My A7 has a wear sensor that can be reused if not damaged, I would not be surprised if yours has them as well.

4. Personally I like the pads and rotors available through Advanced Auto Parts. Inexpensive but good quality and good stopping power. If you are not gonna track the car then solid rotors is all you need. Cross drilled and or slotted is just bling on a street car.

5. Any reputable non-Audi brake shop should be able to handle the project.

So what did the state inspection say was wrong with your rotors / brakes? I find it kinda hard to believe that a 2015 will have damaged rotors to the point the state inspection flags them.