Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

A4 B7 new pads now wheels don't clear calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 B7 new pads now wheels don't clear calipers

Hi All,
first time poster, long time lurker. great site here with lots of knowledgeable members sharing info on their cars.
I have tried my best to resaearch my problem to no avail. so here goes, maybe someone can shed some light..?
we upgraded from a4 b6 avant QT to a4 b7 avant QT & swapped the 19' wheels from the b6 to the newer B7,2 yrs ago.
I recently put in new front brake pads, now the fun's started.
the calipers stick out further(due to thicker pads) & now they interfere with the wheel spokes.
the wheel has a deepish lip & flattish face so the spokes aren't far out enough from the hub face to clear calipers.
I can only deduce that the b6 calipers sit further inboard than a b7 or the original b6 pads were half worn already permitting adequate clearance.
I had to put the used outer pads back in just to stay mobile but i need a permanent solution quite soon.
i can't space the wheels it's illegal here & not what i want as my dauighter drives this car i need peace of mind)..
i'm not debating the safety of spacers i know the theory & they can be 'fine'.
I am looking at new wheels or an oem brake change from another model(long shot).
i know very little about audi's what parts interchange etc.
i need about 7mm more clearance.
i'fd much prefer to spend my $ on a brake improvement than on flash new wheels but my options are very limited at this point
does anyone know of any oem brake combo i could use to improve clearance?
open to suggestions if anyone can help otherwise it's new rims with higher offset & more concave design.
I found some 19x8.5 ET42. I'd be running the existing 235/35/19 tyres if poss.
I hate spending money on cars if it doesn't give a benefit but this time i may have snookered myself.
any help much appreciated
cheers
Old 05-29-2018, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Maybe gat in idea

Would c6 s6 brakes fit? (Calipers , rotos, carriers) full set.
i just read that a6 brake calipers Re narrower & a6 brake set bolts up on similar model a4.
can anyone please confirm?
cheers
Old 10-08-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well obviously those wheels have the wrong backspacing for the car, are they Audi 19"?

Any way, You're in luck as our cars use lug bolts you just get longer bolts to accommodate your chosen spacer, you want a steel spacer not aluminum as it will get torque squeezed
Old 10-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks for Your reply. Unfortunately spacers are illegal over here unless the car has a modification certification done by an engineer.
The spacers apparently have to pass certain testing before they can be passed & signed off as a modification & from that point on the car is officially 'modified' causing insurance dramas(refusal to insure, or jacked up premiums etc.).
I ended up getting a replacement set of 19 wheels with a 35 offset & swapped over tyres.

cheers