Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Assistance with front brakes Audi A6 3.2 05

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance with front brakes Audi A6 3.2 05

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help out with information regarding replacing front brakes/rotors for an Audi A6 3.2 Quattro 05. I just had my 75k full service done and Audi wanted to replace my front breaks and turn my rotors for almost 900 bucks. I figured this is the time to venture out and do it myself. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest decent above OEM front brake pads and rotors to replace on my Audi? Also, I believe the replacing rear pads only needs the VAG tool to compress the caliper electronically so I don't need that if doing only the front.

If anyone can assist with directions if they have it too would be great or links that points me in the right direction to do this myself.

Thanks so much and hopefully I can do this easily. I've done honda many times.

Scotty
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scotty,

We have a great selection of OEM and aftermarket performance pad upgrades for your vehicle.

Shoot me a PM and I would be more than happy to get you fitting up to a new set of brake pads that suit your needs!

Jason
Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First - better than OEM is hard to achieve. OEM quality is very, very good. "hot" brakes are really trade-offs - you trade off nearly everything for ability to operate under the high heat of track environments. For street use most track setups are just plain inferior - more noise, more wear, more dust.

Many people want low dust pads. Good examples are ceramic pads. Hawk HPS, which the vendor below sells, are also lower dust. But ceramic pads have poorer heat capabilities.

Many OEM equivalent pads exist - Pagid, Textar Jurid.

Many OEM equivalent rotors too - Zimmerman, Brembo, Balo.

I put Hawk HPS and Zimmermans on my S6. On the track i use other stuff but they are awful on the street.

Unless you plan to run the car on a track, get a good, quiet, pad and an OEM supplier rotor.

Figure 200/4 wheels pads and 300-350/4 rotors. I doubt your rear rotors are even broken in though.

Do nto turn rotors. If they are damaged, throw away. They are rarely damaged.

BE sure you lubricate your guide pins.

Be sure to flush (exchange) the brake fluid completely.

G