Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Brake lines for older Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake lines for older Audi

Hi guys, anybody can recommend an outfit who bends or manufactures steel brake lines? need to replace the brake lines on the '86 Coupe GT, they are very corroded at the back in the area of the pressure regulator (one line actually burst). I called Audi in Oakville (Canada), was told the brake lines for this car are no longer available. I have a short line that I bought from Audi in Europe, goes from the pressure regulator to the right rear wheel, need to bend it. Also need to replace the two long lines that go all the way to the front, these two I do not have. I got two names from a colleague at work, both in the US, Inline Tube and Classic Tube, they only make steel brake lines for American cars. Now I could take the car to a local garage to have this done but have no idea how much this will cost and I am not in a position to spend several hundred dollars for this. Has anyone used a garage to do such work and how many hours were charged if you can tell? I am not adverse at taking the car to a garage, it is the high cost that I fear. I did remove the old lines, only if I can find someone who can bend the short line and manufacture the two long ones for me then I can install myself. I know you can buy a tool to bend an existing line however was warned it is not as simple as the shops who sell this tool like to tell you it is. Any recommendations? I am in Canada in the Toronto/Hamilton area. Thank you guys,

George
1986 Coupe GT & 1990 90Q20V sedan
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i damaged one from the regulator to the rear wheel on a 95 A6q, i went to the local parts store and bought a pre-made length of tubing with the correct flare ends, went to Homer Depot and bought tube bending pliers, and made it myself. Actually, i bought extras so i could practice, about $3/ea in 12-18" lengths.

See writeup in tech section, search for "grant"

Grant