Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Brake problems, need help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problems, need help!!!!!!!!

Alright, I'm sure I'm an idiot and messed something up, trying to save myself some money. This always ends up bad.

I've got a 2007 Audi A6 Quattro. I just changed the oil, rotors, pads, and some other stuff.

My buddy made the stupid decision of opening the bleed valve on the calipers.

Now the brake pedal drops to the floor, after multiple pumping and bleeding on both sides, it still drops to the floor. The other odd part, for some reason, the screen by the steering wheel that shows what position you are in (park, reverse, drive, neutral, etc).... it usually lights up with whichever position you are in. It was lighting up all positions at once.

The brakes continue to drop to the floor, and seem to kick on and off as I drive, sometimes it wont stop at all, sometimes it will slowly stop (only going 5 mph.)

ANNNNND I also noticed that when I hit the gas sometimes it seems to stick a bit, doesnt "take off" like usual.

I know there are multiple potential issues, but just changing the pads and rotors should have nothing to do with the rest of the system...... so I dont know how I couldve done that. PLEASE HELP
Old 03-19-2021, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake fluid boiled ruined calipers

I have the same exact car as you. I just bought it. It started doing odd things with the battery going dead, airbag symbol going off and on. Took it for a drive It felt like it was losing power and then it would barely go. I pulled over the passenger front wheel was smoking. My son in law came and drove it to the mechanic and it stopped fine. Got to the mechanic and the brakes went out again. He said the brakes had gotten so hot from the pads being completely worn out, and the friction of rubbing on the rotor that it boiled the brake fluid and polluted the system. The drivers rear wheel had the same problem. II believe it was somehow linked to the electronic parking brake. The calipers were wasted. The guy I bought mine from told me after the fact that the parking brake goes on and off by itself sometimes. So that makes sense why it locked up, right?