Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Squeak from right front brake - I'm determined to eliminate it

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak from right front brake - I'm determined to eliminate it

2001 A4 1.8TQMS
53k miles
all rotors/pads replaced @Jan 2005 (@10k miles ago)with stock replacements (Zimmerman rotors and Textar pads)

I've had a rotational squeak for @8 months now coming from the front right.
What I have done so far....

Determined that it is likely not suspension (never say never), during alignments / service I had them check my suspension - all appeared OK. Since it is a rotational squeak, I would assume this would rule out suspension and point me towards rotors, pads, etc.

@3 weeks ago I took apart the front right brakes.
Replaced my rubber bushings that the slider pins ride in.
1) Replaced one slider pin (both looked OK, but I did have an extra new one). Cleaned both well.
2) Used Audi Brake Grease and lubed the inside of the bushing and the slider pin. (when the slider pin went into the new bushings, it was much tighter than the old bushing fitment)
3) Torqued the slider pins to spec
4) Used Audi brake grease on the metal to metal contacts between the caliper carrier and caliper, as well as where the inside pad makes metal contact with the caliper (couldn't get the outside pad off, so I didn't do anything with that.
5) Replaced the caliper retaining spring with a brand new one.

No problem for @2 days, but then the same problem.

I have noticed that I typically get the squeak after the car has warmed up a bit. Can hear it at low speeds (crawl) when going in a straight line, or turning right or left at crawl speeds. It may not happen 100% of the time though. No squeak when brakes are applied. It is definately rotational (squeak - squeak - squeak - not brake 'squeal') and frequency / squeak interval increases with speed.

My best guess at this point is that my pads and/or rotor have uneven wear / manufacturers defect? <But I would think that my problem would lessen the more these components are worn>

Any thoughts on what to do next ?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Goop it

I had a nasty squeal from my left front after putting EBC Greenstuffs on.. I got rid of it by cleaning the crap off the caliper and coating the back of the outboard pad with red anti-squeel goop available at about any auto parts store. Reassemble and quiet once again. YMMV
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

worth a try...I never did really clean everything using brake cleaner when it was apart.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Default I have the same dang problem

And I tried the goop, no help. This is really starting to get annoying isnt it?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm going to fix it...somehow.

I'll stick with the philosophy that it is something simple.

Next step is a major cleaning and relube. Everything comes off. Lots of Brake Cleaner and lots of brake grease at all metal to metal contact points. Sand rotor a bit with an emory cloth or garnet sandpaper. Check pads for glazing/uneven wear.

If no luck, I'll plan to replace front pads, if no luck...maybe upgrade to the A8 rotors pads up front (it will be a good way to convince my wife that I need to spend more money!).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default same problem here..

i thought it was my suspension.. i replaced every control arm cause mine were bad anyways.. both wheel bearings.. still ****ing annoying.. im thinking bout bbk now.. cause its driving me CRAZY!!!!my mechanic said it was my pads.. he told me to get a different type.. im using mintex reds.. how bout you guys?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Using Textar pads

The squeak probably came up about 3 months after all my rotors/pads were changed....I'm a little over a year or 10k miles into these rotors/pads (so I'd hate to do a full replacement right now). No squeak like this before I changed out my rotors/pads.

Here's what I planned to do next -
1) Remove everything...clean
2) Use Brake cleaner on everything
3) Get rid of any rust, etc on hub
4) Use some Garnet sandpaper on my rotors (I'd measure thickness of a few points on the rotor if I had a tool to do so)
5) Rough up my pads (maybe glazed a bit)
6) Re-lube slider bushings, backs of pad to metal contact points, all carrier to caliper contact points
7) Final brake cleaner
8) Reassemble
If it still squeaks - I'll be looking at replacing rotors/pads.

In my mind, it has to be brake components as the sound is rotational...suspension wouldn't be rotational, would it?
I also notice that it squeaks more or starts up when I turn right.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default doesnt this drive u crazy and make u want to crash ur car..

cuz its driving me crazy..
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heehee, yes...but I'd rather deal with this annoyance

than be faced with a $1,000 job for something else.
I'm just glad that I am not alone. I may not get a chance to look at mine for another few weeks...I'll post results though.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Squeak from right front brake - I'm determined to eliminate it

Hey Audi fans;

I'm new to this forum, I have a 2004 S4 That I put new front brakepads and rotors on both sides and the pads seem to be rubbing mostly when I'm driving through sweeping turns and I can sometimes hear alittle rubbing at slow speeds (right side "passenger" only), almost like the pads are not secured in the calipers, however when I did the job I ensured that the outer spring clip/retainer had good tension on them (both sides) to retain the outer pads and I lubed all the proper locations/rub points and piston contacts. Still I'm being driven to madness with the rubbing and only on the right side. Maybe the caliper is not moving properly to a neutral position after braking? Could it be a bent hub?, That would be extreme...

Any suggestions??