Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Those with Front BBK's : Opinions on rear upgrade ? APR/Stasis Track Sport rear, or ECS Stage1 rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those with Front BBK's : Opinions on rear upgrade ? APR/Stasis Track Sport rear, or ECS Stage1 rear
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinion is YES. More rear bias (IMO) is needed, especially with aftermarket suspension...

...less weight transfer forward under braking, more rear traction maintained.

I run the STaSIS 298mm kit along with Pagid 4-2 Blue pads to get more rear bias into the car. I prefer it this way.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing the front torque with a BBK takes the balance a little too far forward

I had the stoptech 355 kit before the alcons and the car would launch forward on hard braking due to the increased front torque. When I got the rear stasis kit, the car felt much more planted when braking hard. I felt it took some of the characterisitc dive of slightly higher front brake bias. The rear 298 rotor is enough to bring the blanace back to what it should be with pretty much any front BBK. So yeah, definately a great addition. Realize that even on stock brakes, you are limited by how much friction your tires can hold without giving. I felt that better tires made a bigger difference in braking distances than bigger brakes.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huge 2nd on the contact patch and importance of tires...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Default good to hear

I'm waiting for my brackets to arrive so I can insall my 302x12mm rears. Not sure which pads to go with yet, thinking of matching my fronts with the Axxis ultimates out back too, however if that proves to be too much power they might need to be dialed back a little bit. Thankfully Audi seems to be moving away from dinky dink rear rotors on the new models that means there are new larger OEM rotors which are inexpensive, disposeable and available just about anywhere.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Default I'm doing my own thing using oem parts since I dont want to spend $800 on the stasis system

and then have to buy S4 rear calipers/carriers for another couple of bills. I respect Stasis... but I dont feel like spending that much on my rear brakes just yet.

I have 255x10 rears right now (stock 245x10) and by the end of the march I should have my 302x12 rear upgrade completed using OEM rotors and carriers... but ya gotta have brackets made custom to space the carriers/calipers ... thats what I'm waiting for right now.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Brazil

Default Not anything against saving money but, I wouldn't want to go into the first corner after the...

straight at 140+mph and have some "pieced together" setup on my car to slow me down.

Stasis TS rear kit is the best on the market for your application.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is going 298s in the rears too much, though, if one maintains OEM size fronts?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ....

I'm sure the Stasis setup is the best... I'd be buying it if it wasnt more than twice what I'm spending in an effort to achieve simmilar results.

I am using oem audi parts, they are decent quality german made parts... good enough to be on current audis. Why do I like oem parts? I'm an audi parts consultant... OEM audi parts are affordable and very available for me. So if I nuke a pair of rotors every track event its affordable for me. I can get my parts next day for no shipping cost... there are certain advantages to my selecting the parts I do. For example: my cost is under $100 for a pair of 302mm rear rotors even for 300x22 vented rotors under $100. I cant see spending several times that on 2 piece rotors that may go out of production or become unavailable without notice.

My brackets are a lot like the BIRA or ECS ones found on nearly all of the front porsche caliper upgrades... Simmilar to the ones on the front of my car with those pieced together BIRA system 1 brakes... that work so very well. Just because my custom setup hasnt been designed by a favored tuner doesnt mean that I cant produce simmilar results using OEM parts with safe cosistant stopping power. I'm not at the point where I have a dedicated track car, when I get there I'll have track only brakes like the stasis ones... till then I like the advantages of using OEM rotors, calipers, carriers and hardware with custom brackets.

As for your 140mph comment. I plan on doing plenty of testing to establish if they are too powerful before I do something as stupid as doing a 140mph stop... do you really think I'm that foolish? Right now my car wont even GO 140mph without me disconnecting the vehicle speed sender found on the gearbox. Obviously I plan on doing gradual testing with increasing speeds. If I feel that there is too much power I'll add a proportioning valve to allow me to back off the rear brakes so the car remains stable in a 140mph stop.

The stasis system has several obvious advantages
1. rotor weight is likely to be less.
2. heat dissipation of a vented rotor is better
3. S4 caliper might be slightly more powerful

Right now I just cant justify spending $800 + calipers/carriers on that setup... those of you that can justify it should do so as I am sure it is the benchmark for rear braking performance.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that would probably depend upon what pads you are using up front

and upon what suspension the car is using.

Quick Reply: Those with Front BBK's : Opinions on rear upgrade ? APR/Stasis Track Sport rear, or ECS Stage1 rear