Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Tips for changing brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for changing brake lines?

Over the weekend, I helped a friend install some B5 S4 calipers onto his B6 A4. That has inspired me to install my brake upgrade when the time comes. My concern is removing the brake line when I have to install the ss-lines. My car is a 97, should I have any concerns about how to remove the existing lines? I don't think that the lines have ever been removed before so I'm worried about it being seized on, etc. I live in a non-weather friendly area where salt is part of the local street's diet. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Tips for changing brake lines?

I have a couple:

1) clean the area first as you don't want to get any dirt into the brake caliper and lines while you're swapping the lines.

2) If you're throwing away your old brake line, crimp the brake line with a vice grip or something. This will prevent brake fluid from dripping while you're working on the lines.

3) disconnect the old line at the caliper first.

4) connect the new line to the caliper

5) disconnect the old line at the hard line, and quickly connect the new line to the hard line.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Tips for changing brake lines?

Presoak everything for a week - and keep it wet.
You can start with the worthless WD40 first - now follow up with heavier based product like LPS3 which will never dry - but converts to a waxy oily covering.

You want all fittings treated at every point they are removed at. Don't forget the brake caliper fittings as well - bleeder for sure. And any body mounted clamps.

If the tool You use later to break fittings loose at line connections starts to fail - stop before forcing the fitting to a deformed state.

You will need line wrenches at this point (They slip on over he hose first Like a 6 point box end wrench only exception is small opening to slip over side of hose) and possible concentrated heat applied. Attention given to protect any hose from over heated fitting will burst out of fitting if not paying attention - Keep cold wet rags handy in water.

When You install new SS lines vs the standard rubber ones - You will notice braking like You never knew before.
Other Advice - Everything Drew said.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Is LPS3 a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench?

I've got Liquid Wrench at home, would that be okay to spray on the fitting?<ul><li><a href="http://www.acehardware.com/sm-gunk-liquid-wrench-super-penetrant-12-pack--pi-1425218.html">Liquid Wrench</a></li></ul>
Old 10-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Henry,

Not sure if this helps, but this video shows me removing my lines on my 01 audi s4. And I live in Wisconsin, so you know they've seen their fair share of snow and salt.

(skip to the end)

Hope this can be of some help!

Matt
The following users liked this post:
DenverB5 (03-20-2023)