Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Regional & ACNA Discussion > North America Discussion > Canadian Discussion
Reload this Page >

"West is Best" folks, specifically BC: insurance question

"West is Best" folks, specifically BC: insurance question

Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "West is Best" folks, specifically BC: insurance question

My sister just moved to BC from Ontario (I suppose she saw the light, you'd say, though she remains unconvinced thus far) and called me saying she's confused as hell about her new auto insurance system.

Apparently you have government-run auto insurance, but that only provides some base level coverage and anything supplemental on that is provided through private third-party companies? I always thought it was fully public insurance, but I am guessing it's only up to statutory minimums, with private entities providing extra coverage past those minimums.

Questions:
1) What does government coverage provide? I'm assuming X dollars personal liability/property damage coverage, underinsured motorist coverage, maybe collision and comp up to Y dollars with Z deductible.

2) What would you recommend in terms of coverage and insurers? In Ontario, I'm comfortable with 2M PL/PD, collision with 1k deductible, comp with 500 deductible, but don't know if that is still reasonable out there. I hear there are some bad drivers, after all...

3) Is the gov't insurance free, fixed, variable fee rates?

4) Do you get separate bills?

5) Are there any third-party companies that take care of all of this nonsense for you, so you have one policy, one bill, etc. and they shield you from this separate coverage nonsense?

Thanks for your time! I'll be out visiting soon, in case anyone wants to arm-wrestle over whose province is tops
Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Looking forward to nanotech vs shady on youtube.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds similar to SGI in Saskatchewan

The provincial government only covers up to so much, if I recall, basic liability is only $200,000 (while it's recommended to have a lot more nowadays) and the deductible is $700.

If you want to have more coverage you can buy additional coverage from SGI or go to a third party insurance company.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Default A few thoughts...

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) no longer runs the entire show in BC. Sadly, I can't remember the whole deal on what they cover and what they don't, but you basically have the option to do the basic insurance items with ICBC, and the remainder (if you want) with a private group. In my case, I signed up with CAA, which was one stop shopping. Rates in Vancouver are almost twice what they are on the Island. I paid around $1140 per year to drive in Victoria. The stats nanotech cited in terms of coverage were identical to mine.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Default I moved to BC from MB going on 4 years ago...

ICBC (the public insurer) does have extended coverage options as well as the required base coverage... People with not so great driving records can find better rates through third parties. From what I recall, you get the base coverage through ICBC and anything additional through private insurers. I don't know if it's two separate bills. I can ask around if you need more info.

I have a spotless driving record so i get everything through ICBC.

I checked CAA and it was cheaper for me to use ICBC for everything.

I think alot depends on the region you're in too... Shopping around is probably the best thing for her to do.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There already is one...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXPFgRsVUE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXPFgRsVUE</a</li></ul>
Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: "West is Best" folks, specifically BC: insurance question

Mike.

Answers:

- ICBC (the Govt Insurance Company) can provide full coverage (3rd Party, Collision &amp; Comprehensive) for anyone.
- You can also go to a private insurance company to provide collision and comprehensive coverage. If you have a good driving record, this is usually cheaper. You get separate bills, but you can go to a broker\private insurance company and get them to do both the ICBC and private insurance policies done there.
- Recommended coverage should be the same as Ontario, unless you live on Vancouver Island where you will find some of the oldest and worst drivers on the planet!

An important point is that she should get a letter from her Ontario insurance company stating that she had coverage with them. This will help her get a discount on the base rate. Max discount is 40% if she can show eight years of coverage before she moved to BC.

I've found that Coast Capital Insurance gave me the best rates (some private companies will not cover the S4), but my rates were way lower in Ottawa.

Hope that helps.
Rajesh
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Third party is cheaper for good drivers??? I found the opposite when shopping around when I moved...

But that might have something to do with the region I'm in possibly... I should look into it again when it comes up for renewal.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Nothing Best about ICBC! I left that abuse 35 years ago...

Now deal with ING Insurance through a local broker.
A rough 77 F-250, sub-rough 90 Nissan PU, as new 05 Nissan Xtrail, &amp; both the Audi girls below, boat/2 snowmobiles &amp; trailer when hooked up.

My wife and I are the only drivers; both 50+, No accidents ever! Clear driver's abstracts: In our policy; $1M 3p liability, no collision on anything, market replacement value, $500 deductible, all for $1300 a year.

ICBC can kiss my pink ***!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You're right....3rd party insurance only wants you if you have a great driving record. Then the

rates offered are very good. This is only for collison and comprehensive; basic liability must be with ICBC of course.

ICBC is cheaper if you have a terrible record or a very expensive vehicle or a vehicle that is un-insurable (like some sport motorcycles) with private parties.

ICBC also sucks if you have more than one vehicle (like collectors). No discounts whatsoever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "West is Best" folks, specifically BC: insurance question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: