Bringing my A4 1.8T Avant to Vancouver from LA for good. Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mileage did vary with regards to Audi LA dealers.

But I guess as the other poster (April/Verdegrrl) said below in this same thread, the attitude and culture plays a part as well. So I would love to be proven wrong and I am looking forward to a healthy relationship with an Audi dealer for my regular service.

I do have to point out our difference in mileage especially since you are sporting a 2007 C6 S6 versus my 2005 B6 A4 with 69,000 miles. If I were in your shoes, I would be skeptical to let someone else other than a trained Audi mechanic tinker with an S6, S8, S4, RS4, etc. And you are obviously within warranty so it doesn't make sense for you to look elsewhere.

Perhaps when place yourself in my shoes or if the roles are ever reversed you will see and experience why it would help to get personalize service from an independent Certified Audi Master Technician who can answer your questions and takes calls after hours. And when he says he will book you an appointment, he doesn't mean to book you along with 20 other cars where you are the 2005 A4 and the rest are 2007/2008 A8, S8, S6, RS4, etc.

But like I said, I will definitely try an Audi dealer up North and would love to prove my own generalization wrong.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's good to hear an opposite perspective about the culture in general.

But do take note I wasn't talking about Americans versus Canadians at all. I was talking about how Audi and especially Audi of America and how this in turn trickles down to their dealers and eventually down to the customers.

I have a great relationship with an Audi/Porsche Master Tech who came from a dealer and started his own shop because he couldn't stand how AoA was twisting the arms of his dealer by indirectly cutting down on reimbursements and warranty work. So even if the dealers have the best of intentions towards the customers, what can they do if they won't get paid. They won't take a loss and close shop just for you.

Also, as I mentioned in my response on this same thread the statement "YMMV" is very obvious when you are talking about a customer who drives to the lot with an 2008 RS4 versus a 2005 A4 1.8T.

Anyway, I don't want to open a can of worms or start any debate and I would like to focus on seeking assistance based on my original post.

If there is a great dealer who will take care of me the way my Audi Master Tech took care of me, I'd love to try them out.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My main point is that given the smaller circles you'll be moving into, you might want to

tip-toe a bit and gather evidence before slagging a particular group You never know where and how you might end up interacting with them either directly or indirectly. If you drop hints, we'll get them;-P
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is getting way too complicated for an AW forum.

It would lend itself to a very interesting discussion face to face. You are deeper than I had at first thought.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default AW is pretty complex. Just trying to help out someone who may not recognize the

subtle pitfalls between countries that might appear to be the same on the surface.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are talking to the deaf.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's not what you're driving, it's how you handle the relationship

I've had Audis for almost ten years now, have not had an issue with a dealership that they did not address to my satisfaction. Some have less imagination than others, but you can get what you expect, just work it.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good to hear - keep an open mind and remember.....

You get what you negotiate, so be clear in setting expectations and follow through. Good luck, and check with the locals to see how they rate the local dealers.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thank you, skapan. Very much appreciated comments.

Take care,

Rodney
Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Finding that kind of indy is just as rare as finding that kind of dealer;-)

My dealer is kind enough to offer pick up and drop off of the Audi and loaner - but I haven't taken them up on it yet.

When it comes to cars long out of warranty, it all boils down to relationships. Being female and usually driving a very odd car (Alfa) over long distances, I've learned to trust my instincts. Sometimes you need to warm people up, but always run from a bad vibe. I've had the gamut from sharing beers when their day is over to them holding my car keys to keep me from leaving before starting a job. My regular mechanic in SoCal charged by the job, not the hour - he knew the cars so well. It was sometimes cheaper and sometimes more expensive, but the job was done right the first time. In the end, that is what matters.

Unless we have a specific shop and specific person in mind that can help the original poster, then there isn't much we can offer other than our experiences - which may have nothing to do with their situation.

Quick Reply: Bringing my A4 1.8T Avant to Vancouver from LA for good. Questions: