Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license

Whats up guys,

I was wondering if you guys could chip in...

An unpaid fine that I was UNAWARE of suspended my license, i got NO notification of this, i didnt know my license was suspended. Apparently it happened on Marth 14th.

So i got pulled over yesterday for nothing, happens all the time, usually the cop just checks me out and lets me go, this time, he came back and said i can either have my car towed, or someone better come and pick up my car, cause my license is suspended. I told him i had no clue, he understood this, and SERVED me. However, he ALSO wrote me a SUMMONS to court for driving with a suspended license!!

is this normal??? it is VERY unfair imo, as i got NO letters saying i have unpaid fines, no letter saying my license is suspended, and apparently the driving under suspension ticket, is a very bad ticket, and insurance companies wont even insure people with this ticket on their record if they are young.

I'm hearing that convictions of this ticket have fines anywhere from 1200-5000 dollars, and its NOT uncommon for a 5k fine to actually occur!

What do you guys suggest I do? Most lawyers want around 1500 dollars to drop this ticket.

Seems very unfair to me, anyone else been in this situation?

The ticket that suspended my license btw was a NO FRONT PLATE ticket.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Xel

holy sh8t, a no front plate ticket, u sure? this world is fked up
Old 03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I actually just spoke to the cop, I called him

I was pretty mad, I really did get no notification that I owe money or my license is suspended, I told him this, and he said "everyone says that, why would i believe this"?

I guess he has a point, but it sucks, cause i really dont have ANY mail from them about fines OR suspension.

Its really bad that a no front-plate conviction with an unpaid fine, would result in something so drastic like this, its not like i was drunk and was suspended, or too many points, or whatever, it was an UNPAID FINE that i wasnt aware of, that i would GLADLY pay....I'm not exactly struggling for cash, I dont think anyone here is, to not pay a 110 dollar stupid ticket.

It really pisses me off that when talking to the cop, the tone and atitude he has is as if i've been suspended for drunk driving, or careless, or whatever.

And you know what, even if it was a financial problem, in my opinion it is still wrong to screw someones driving record over because they cant pay their bills. AGAIN, if it was a suspension due to something else, different story.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Default pay the $1500, get the best lawyer you can....

may just be as simple as requesting a record of the original ticket, finding something wrong with it, or somewhere else along the chain of BS you'be gone through.

get the best lawyer you can, otherwise you'll wear the damages for years (in magnitudes of $1500)

Aman
Old 03-26-2005, 12:42 PM

Default ****ty situation...

Question for you:

Did you actually get a ticket for no front plate? I'm not sure from your information whether you did get the ticket and forgot to pay it or you just had no idea that ticket ever existed and thus had no idea you were supposed to pay it.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no point in arguing the What Ifs now. You need the best possible lawyer you can use...

Suspended license can affect your driving/insurance record for years, and I presume your still under 25.

Life's a biatch sometimes. Good luck with your troubles.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok, I'll play the devil's advocate

You knew you got a no front plate ticket. The ticket has a date on it to file a notice to defend on it, and a date that the payment with a guilty plea is due by. How can you honestly use failure to notify you of conviction in absentia as a defence? You knew you had a ticket. The ticket fairy doesn't come when you're sleeping and magically whisk them away. Everyone knows your licence eventually get's suspended if you don't pay them. Hell, the government doesn't even bother sending notices of suspension via registered mail any more. I just don't get your point.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:36 PM

Default That's why I asked...

I wanted to know if he knew about his ticket in the first place. If so, I don't know why he's complaining at all.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What is the actual official offence cited on your ticket?

I am curious where it says we are supposed to have front plates. Do you know what specific regulation this violates?

I can't find it anywhere.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He should served you with notice and walk away!!

Its called double barrelling you! He is forcing you to go to court for something he is going to have to prove you were served!! Now you are going to need a lawyer or para-legal at a cost to you! Good Luck

Quick Reply: Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license