Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did you go to court to REQUEST trial or first attendance???

you have to go in person to REQUEST the trial or you can do it over the phone for first attendance.

If you went in person to request the trial, it was YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to call back if you havent received the trial date within 2 months. I've been in these situations few times, and it was always emphasized to me that it was my responsibility to call back.

however, onece you didnt show up, you should have received a document from the court informing you that you have been convicted and what amount you are supposed to pay...

my license got suspended along the same lines, but in my case i paid my fine, only 2 days late so the INTEREST and LATE FINE were still owed without me knowing anything about it. it was something like $20 in total...

i tried complaining everywhere, but ended up paying $110 for reinstatement etc...

this is a lose - lose situation for everyone.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default show me where is says we must display a front plate

<ul><li><a href="http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm">Highway Traffic Act</a></li></ul>
Old 03-27-2005, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good grief...

Are you driving a riced-out Civic? Cuz you're getting treated like you are. That's borderline abuse.

This sort of traffic crap gives me a real distaste for the cops.

Go fight real crime.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Default with all due respect...

what did the officer do wrong???

you know that they can ticket you for any and all items listed...

but i agree with one thing... something must have pissed him off... probably no front plate and all the tickets that were listed on his record... comes across like smart *** attitude... you cant win this battle...
Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Default and where does it say that you can drive the car without the front plate?

hmmm... what are you trying to prove? everyone here knows that you have ot have front license plate... what is your point?

you are saying that he will win this case in the court??????

hehehe.... fine with me...
Old 03-27-2005, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Section 7(1)(b)(i) - which is what i was charged with

I believe the key words in 7.1.b.i is "prescribed manner"

here:

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or
Old 03-27-2005, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I understand what you are sayin, and you are correct that the cop has done nothing wrong really...

It is only common practice to only serve the person and let them off with a warning, however it techinically isnt wrong if they do give me this ticket, just from the many many people i've spoken to since i've got this ticket, they all seem to say that a police officer rarely does that, especially when it is for an unpaid front-plate fine.

I'm just more mad that I now have to deal with all this crap, when i was happy paying the 110 dollar front plate fines over and over. Theres nothing wrong with that, that 110 dollar fine isnt a warning, its a fine for something i have done wrong. Once I pay the fine, I shouldnt be subject to any additional negative consequences like discrimination for front plate fines. This is different from speeding, or seatbelt tickets that would make sense.

No frontplate is harmless, which is why insurance companies do not have access to this information, which is why when you order a abstract of your driving history, front plate convictions do not appear.

The whole front-plate thing is in my opinion just as significant as a parking ticket. You can continue paying the tickets, and it should not subject you to further discrimination because of it. The whole point system is what is supposed to play the role of deciding whether someone is taking advantage of having the means to pay for tickets. Police officers should not have the powers to decide for you and themselves whether your previuos front plate history would play any role in their job decisions. Police officers have not proved to be mentally fit to make any decisions like that, and it is why we have judges.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes they can,

But I think any officer can find something wrong with almost 90% of the drivers out there. There are many many violations that are unheard of, or again, not common practice to enforce.

The discrimination part comes in when officers find those little laws and charge younger people in nice cars with them, while they make no attempt to find the little things wrong with your average 40 year old in a Camry.

I personally don't speed beyond what the average driver speeds in normal traffic, I don't race on streets, and I would never endanger the lives of anyone on the road, I'm actually against those who do. I've even made a couple comments on the local Canada forums here about irresponsible behaivour I saw on movies online here from our local members.

In my seven years of driving, I only got speeding tickets in my younger years when I admit I did speed quite a bit. I've paid my dues for that, and most are even off my record now.

I shouldnt be treated like this, and we both know that if I was in a regular car, and possibly 15 years older, I wouldnt have these problems.

Within the last couple months, we have had 3 cars stolen in our family. One was a commercial truck that our survellience video caught being stolen, with the license plates of the theives in view. Police know about this video, and despite my 4 phone calls and 2 emails, they did not pick up the video tape. The truck was found on friday parked in front of Al Palladini's truck stop @ highway7 and weston, they recovered it with some damage, and have CLOSED THE CASE, and claim they NO LONGER HAVE USE FOR MY TAPE.

My point is, they are abusing their position by enforcing the law based on their CONVENIENCE. When its easy for them to write 3 summons to court tickets for a car that has no front plate, they don't give 100% when crimes that are more seriuos require some sort of "police work".
Old 03-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Default holly crap man... i do feel for you... i've been there myself for a lot less

than $110...

but you are blaming your mistake on the cop... you are calling it a discrimination...

you have to suck it up, find a lawyer and do what has to be done.

I got stopped once in my yellow S4 just because i had tinted windows.. so what? i got a warning for the tinted license plate cover and the next time when the SAME cop saw me with the same tinted cover still on teh car - he issued me the ticket. But i dont blame him, i blame me for being stupid. It is a law and i broke it. Time to pay.

quite honestly, if i was a cop and saw aall your tickets for missing front plate, i'd make sure to give you a lesson that'd hurt. Nothing personal and no discrimination.

Was your license suspended - YES
Were you driving with suspended license - YES
Did you have front license plate attached - NO
Did you have back portion of your ownership - NO

I dont understand your grief against the officer. He was doing his job and you decided to TAKE A RISK OF BEING TICKETED by not having the front license plate attached... Well you just run out of the luck.

I really feel for you. If anyone spend a chunk of money on traffic violations, that is me. Just fought of 2 of them from last year in the court this past week.

But i'd never blame the officer for something that i was essentially responsible for...

i hope i wasnt too tough on you. I know you are in trouble and i am sorry for that. But i hope that you will attach that fuc@#ng front plate once you get your license back...

/end rant
Old 03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

y would you get a ticket for a non-factory exhaust that isnt over the legal dB limit?

Quick Reply: Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license