how necessary are dedicated winter tires for a quattro audi??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can take it like that....

My argument is similar to Turbonater's above, if I read correctly.

Good A/S will do ok, especially if they're fairly new...80% of the rest of the world uses them fine, so why can't a quattro equipped car be fine with them.

Here's the BUT. If you wish to enjoy the full benefits of quattro in the snow, nothing will beat a dedicated snow tire. The same goes with a summer tire for summer.

The fact that most people just drive their cars to work or school and back means that most of us could probably save the money, since we'll never really "use" the tires, but then, why don't we all just buy black Fords.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You really do have to take into consideration your driving

If I had my car and lived in Toronto and never drove out of the city I would run A/S or something less in the winter, pure summer for the rest of the year.

But I drive my car every weekend on snowpacked backroads out in the middle of no where. I need the dedicated winter and it makes this car a tank. I can't wait for the snow to fall, but first I need to buy some new tires.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sure, but look how much you give up to get so little

Disregard the Q rated multicell pseudo studless tires that Bridgestone keeps sucking people in with and check out how little difference there is between high performance all seasons and H rated full winters.

Now, if you're OK hobbling around on squishy Q rated winters on the off chance that some hoodlum will need to be steered around, fine, but what about the vast majority of numnuts who require avoiding at high speeds on bare road during the winter?

You figure the odds. I'm sticking with non Q winter tires and it seems the best all seasons are now getting right up there for ice traction. This make sense because the deep lug treads are only useful for deep snow. For ice you need as much rubber on the road as possible and lots of siping.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&amp;url=%2Ftires%2Ftests%2Fbridgestone _winter.jsp">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bridgestone_winter.jsp</a></li></ul>
Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not going Q rating, rather looking at the Hakkas with the T rating.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think my stock all-seasons were Michelins.

Although there was roughly 50K km on them when I was comparing them to the M3s.