AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/canadian-discussion-43/)
-   -   Importing wheels and tires from tirerack, how much does it really cost by the time you're done? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/canadian-discussion-43/importing-wheels-tires-tirerack-how-much-does-really-cost-time-youre-done-2486107/)

hemants 09-06-2002 06:22 AM

Importing wheels and tires from tirerack, how much does it really cost by the time you're done?

Scott W 09-06-2002 07:50 AM

Check this out....

1-800-461-9999 is the phone number for Canadian Customs, they will tell you if there is any duty/tariff that applies. You'll need to know the country of origin for both the wheel & tire.

As I'm sure you're well aware, GST is inescapable if your having them shipped up. Remember your brokerage fee will apply too.

If you want, figure out your price of importation & call my tire guy (Jim @ Newmarket Tire (905)836-5726), he usually has pretty good pricing compared to the rest of the tire places...I've been dealing with him for close to 10 years. When I bought my S03's, he was $350 lower than the one other place I had price for comparison.

Pizzicato 09-06-2002 08:16 AM

I shelled out close to $ 700 in duties on rims & tires alone !!

BBS RX II & SO3's

Ryan in T.O. 09-06-2002 08:18 AM

OH MY LORD! That's insanity.

Pizzicato 09-06-2002 08:23 AM

Actually its more like highway robbery !!........lol

Ryan in T.O. 09-06-2002 08:30 AM

This is what I did

I ordered steel wheels for my BMW from Tirerack last year. I had them shipped to a buddy near the US border (Detroit in my case). He then brought them across for me as a gift. (He/She may have to lie a little about the price if they are too expensive. I'm not sure where the cutoffs are for what you can bring back as a gift. My wheels were like $300US so I didn't have that problem.)

Alternatively you could drive down and exchange your wheels for the new ones and drive them back, leaving your old wheels there. Then have the old wheels shipped back in plain boxes as a gift (yeah I know, some gift)

Finally, you can call around in Canada to see if anyone sells the wheels you want. In Toronto, try a place called Wheelsdirect. I don't think they have a website yet but they are huge and will probably to able to order the wheels.

Maybe other living on the west coast and in Montreal can suggest alternatives.

--RGL

Liam in Montreal 09-06-2002 08:37 AM

Always do X 2 rule. take us price, double it for cnd price.

YS4 09-06-2002 09:04 AM

I've done alot of importing in the past few months....

Last winter, I was looking for BBS rims and was about to order them from tirerack, but with the duty and taxes, it was cheaper for me just to buy them from RMR in montreal and have them shipped to toronto. In the end, I ordered them from Cedarbrae VM Performance who was roughly the same price as RMR with the shipping.

Last month I ordered the AWE Twin2 and the DTS and the total was like $1300.00, I had both shipped to a friend in NJ and he put them both in the same box and I paid no duty, pst, or gst. Just $90 U.S. shipping and $38 for that friggin UPS brokerage fee. If US postal service accepted large boxes, I dont think there would have been that fee. At any rate, my friend marked down both as being defective auto parts valued at $30.

Now, I'm waiting for a set of xenons that are coming up from Rhode Island via another buddy in NJ. This time it's coming USPS marked as a birthday gift. see what happens. Actually, he did ship it on my birthday.

So, the moral of the story is, never have the company ship it directly. I once ordered a shift knob from Stratmosphere and I was charged $80 by UPS for a $200 knob... I guess i was the nob in that case.

A4freakkk 09-06-2002 01:47 PM

Most american suppliers are more than happy to fudge ..

the invoice for duty purposes. Just ask.

greendoh 09-08-2002 04:10 PM

Whatever Tire Rack has, wheel and tire zone has

mostly..<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelandtirezone.com/">here is a link</a></li></ul>