Not Audi Related.....but would appreciate some friendly advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Audi Related.....but would appreciate some friendly advice

Q1. What is required for a canadian to work in the U.S. (That is if you have a letter of offer).
Q2. What are the tax implications? (Are you taxed has a CDN or American?)
Q3. Does the company have to sponsor you, or should I get my wallet ready for some legal fees? (Price?)
Old 11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers inside....sorta

I only know the answer for question 1.

1. You must be sponsored by the company to recieve an immediate green card. If they do not do this, then you will have to apply for a green card and it will take time, unless you prove you have been hired conditionally based on citizenship.

It becomes a real headache and a lot of people seek help from an immigration lawyer.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Default To provide an accurate response, you need to answer the following...

Will you still reside in Canada while working in the US? Will you be travelling weekly or frequently between the two countries? Where will your salary be paid from. What kind of work visa will you use and for how long B waiver, L, TN, etc.? Depending on how living situation, you don't need a green card. I've worked back and forth in the US almost a decade without one.

Tax implications are impacted by days spent in each country and which days were worked. You will still have to get a SSN or ITIN and still complete income tax in both countries but it is equalized for both countries and time, you won't pay twice the amount of taxes.

If you are moving to the US and the company is hiring you, they should have understood that you are not an US citizen and you negotiate an immigration package that would have taken care of legal fees and a type of moving package.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Not Audi Related.....but would appreciate some friendly advice

I went to school as a Canadian in the states and worked afterwards on a special visa called OPT.

After that expired, I got a employer sponsored visa called H1-B. This requires a lawyer to do the paperwork, and your employer must pay for the cost (it was $1000 when I got mine a few years ago). Lawyer fees are on top of that. This visa lasts for three years, however. But it takes a loooooong time to arrive - mine took over one year to process, just after 9/11 took place.

Certain positions can fall under the free trade visa and are the easiest to get (apparently you just need a job offer). This lasts one year...

If you reside only in the states, you only pay US taxes. If you reside a certain amount of time in Canada, then you must also pay taxes there as well.

This is from what I recall...