This screams lawsuit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, head office called her to apologize immediately. Her request to work at a diff store.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In her words "they made it VERY clear that they had concerns about it". Then

she asks them point blank "Will I be fired?". Jebus, if they said yes, it would have been a hellstorm then.

So, "yes you will be fired" = firestorm, no = the employee is now making the rules about the business. They probably answered in a fashion that would have made any reasonable person read between the lines that "Hey, I may lose my job...maybe I should show my support another way...they've been good to me for 2 years...never bounced a paycheque."

BUSYBODY.

And please dtompsett, I cannot imagine your situation and pain. I hope you understand my thoughts have nothing to do with the actual cause. I would be more inclined to be pissed at her for making such an important cause into something about her. Likely, she'll end up with another job, these guys will lose a restaurant due to misguided backlash and - the dirtiest thing about it is that the cause dear to your heart will profit from it. Such a cause should benefit from good actions not from a misguided person trying to ruin other people.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh boy...don't get me started and defend Tim's. I don't want to stoop that low.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's probably some blame on both sides

From what I took away form the article, her employer seemed a bit vague, they said that they had concerns and did not give her a direct answer, sounds like they were skirting around the question more than anything else. For her, she should have demanded a clear answer and get it written on paper.

Given that her employer did not give her a cut and dry answer and that it was not documented, I still tend to think that it might be under a wrongful dismissal case. I'm no way an HR expert or completely understand the Employment Standards Act.

I think in the end, there is a lesson to be learned from this. For the employee, get the questions answered clearly before proceeding and documented, otherwise expect the worse. From the employer's approach, I think they may not have thought through their actions carefully and the reprocutions for their action, especially in the case of a charitable cause.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Formally .. but for all practical intents and purposes the owner is probably right.

I doubt that the restaurant owner had anything against supporting cancer patients. It really comes down to the employee appearance standards. In any decent restaurant, waiting staff doesn't just take orders and bring food, they are a part of the overall restaurant going experience.

What if this lady decided not to shower for a month to show support for a poor African village ? The same goes for the visual appearance. First-day G.I. Jane is not exactly an attractive sight.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Any employee appearance standard is discriminatory then.

So if the waiter feels like coming to work in a kilt with his hair painted gold, and this gets him fired, he also has a case. Or doesn't he not ?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Being a business owner for years I have concerns with employee appearance...

There has to be standards.
She was given a choice.
She was given a warning.
She made the decision which resulted in her 'lay off'.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hell no. I'm a 600lbs stripper. I haven't showered in a year...

...why did I get laid off again? Oh right.

I feel bad for this girl, but they warned her. It's a service job, appearance matters.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Default It wouldn't matter even if the lawyers got the last cent +

It would be about making a point.

Shut the business down, put the owner's picture and name on a billboard right across the country saying, "this is the guy who fired a woman wanting to do good for cancer patients".

Then give him a gun so he could shoot himself!
******!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Employee appearance has to take a back seat to +

someone wanting to do good for ill people.

PERIOD!

Quick Reply: This screams lawsuit...