You guys in Ontario are so lucky...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys in Ontario are so lucky...

Is this guy for real?

How does one know who is responsible?
How do they determine if he was driving too fast?
How do they know that speed was a factor and not something else?

Man the government can really suck.<ul><li><a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081222/national/fantino_driving_liability">http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081222/national/fantino_driving_liability</a</li></ul>
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wonder who gets to decide? The possibility of negligence is why we buy insurance

If you deliberately crash your car your current insurance doesn't have to pay out, just as if you arrange to have it stolen.

So who decides if your driving decisions that lead to the accident were careless or deliberate? And what about suing the government for the pi$$ poor road maintenance that caused the loss or, for that matter, the incredibly lax driving standards required to get a license in the first place? I think good drivers should be able to sue the government for negligent requirements for driving skill standards. If all the incompetent drivers were banned then we could drive much faster in complete safety.

The problem arises when Government gets involved in the insurance business (or any business for that matter, which is a good reason for government to stay right out of the auto industry but that is for another thread).

You see how easy it is for nimrods like police chiefs to spout off illogical nonsense and get it into the papers.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM

It will never fly, because it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I like Fantino.

I also like that he's typically common sense. We all didn't like the 50km/h over b/c we all pictured ourselves being busted and how pissed off we'd feel if our beloveds were taken away, especially with no immediate recourse. But, we've probably slowed down.

This latest seems tough, although I'd vote for it in a heartbeat if they made it extremely clear that the only people to get busted were those that were grossly negligent and define that appropriately. I can see the Audi-snobbery starting to swell..."Hey, I have quattro, and with winter tires, why can't I do 100km/h on the highway in 8 inches of snow...the car, and my skill, can take it".

My worry is that Fantino's behaviour is mimicing that of special interest groups...like MADD, for example, that must do their best to overstate or whip up panic about an issue so they remain relevant and their huge sig machine keeps getting fed.

Thanks for following me on that one....
Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Obviously there is a burden of proof...

He's not just saying hammer anyone in an single car accident. If there are witnesses who can say someone was driving aggressively on an icey road and spun out taking a light standard with them then they deserve it. Why should my taxes pay for some idiots driving mistakes... We are already getting raped through insurance for the things other people have already done.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Just wait, Fantinos term isn't finished yet...plenty of time for more stupid things.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Never mind MADD, the insurance companies would love this...

This is what we pay insurance for, and now they'll have a reason to deny claims. What do you think the chances are that rates will go down if this passes into law?

Koz.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a joke! Why not ticket drivers driving 20kms/h in the Express lanes!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cops should get out of legislation.

Conflict of interest.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Determining those factors would not be different than in any other "accident"

This is fairly standard police work.

It also opens the door for going to court and fighting it.

Nothing really new here. If you're acting irresponsibly on a public road, you should pay the consequences.

Quick Reply: You guys in Ontario are so lucky...