Helmet Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Advice?

For club events such as drivers school and Auto-X I know a helmet is required, and I understand that Snell M-2000 or better is good enough, but I'm wondering whether the consensus is to go with an SA helmet as opposed to "just" an M rating. And also any advice as to whether full face shield as opposed to open face is recommended? I have been to one driving experience at Autobahn CC, and plan on an Auto-X or two this summer, and figure I should get my own rather than renting from ACCCC, so any advice is appreciated. Also, any advice on best place to purchase, either locally in Chicago-land or on the net? TIA.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

SA is best IMHO.. it is superior to M rated for car use for several reasons:

a) more fire proofing
b) built to sustain multiple impacts whereas motorcycle helmet designed to sustain ONE impact to save the noggen.
c) wider eye opening for better visibility on SA helmets
d) more accepted at other venues

I would suggest you go to local stores to try on and see what you like and what fits you and then compare prices to online.. often you can get super deals online but you need to know what will fit you.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Fear the Miata!

go to northstar and try on as many helmets as possible, then either buy from them or on line
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Just got this one only in flat black: http://www.saferacer.com/bell-s2r-he...?productid=373

I was using my full face motorcycle helmet for years until it expired. Now that I have this I don't know why I did that. Way more comfortable. Seems like it will breathe better. I also like the fact the mouth area is bigger to allow for the chatter box thingies to fit nice. Seems like the ear piece will fit better as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Pretty sure SCCA only allows Snell 1995 or better. Best to go by SCCA ratings because most clubs demand less. That way if you ever want to go with the ChiSCCA or whatever you'll already be prepared.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For your purposes, I would spend a few extra dollars for a SA rated helmet for the reasons that Chris lists. If you are buying new, make sure it is at LEAST a SA2005 rated helmet and you'll be good.

As far as open face vs. closed face, there has been debate that closed face can present a problem in cars equipped with airbags. IIRC, the SCCA took a stand and prohibited (or was considering banning) closed face helmets in air-bag equipped vehicles. I could be wrong, but the argument is a fine point and when it comes down to it I believe the differences to be minor.

Obviously this would not be a factor in a full-race situation, but take it with a grain of salt.

I prefer open face, but to me, it's just that a preference.

www.quattroworld.com
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some tracks on the east coast are starting to required for car events SA only. Not sure how long that trend would take to get to the mid-west, but something to consider.