New Member, New Audi

Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, New Audi

Hi, I joined AW recently and picked up my very first Audi on 9 July. I'm still getting used to her and my next mission is to get my US spec MMI changed out to Euro spec. I believe there's a way to use the BT in my phone to get some functionality but would like it to operate the way its supposed to. Also interested in getting my speedometer to read KMH and not MPH at least until I decide to go back to the States. I'm thinking I could probably get that done at the dealer but thought I'd put it out there in case someone has figured out a way to do it on their own.

If anyone has insight or experience in these areas, please let me know. If you're ever in northern Italy, hit me up and we can go burn up the Autostrada. Not nearly as smooth as the Autobahn, but it'll have to do until I take her north of the Alps.

P
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Hi back; some info

I have done the Euro delivery, and am now back in the US awaiting the Q5 in 45-60 days.

The speedo is easy--just change the setting for the center instrument panel display that shows the speed to kph. The speedo of course will still have the big MPH gauge w/ the little kph numbers, but the digital display will now be in kph. The cruise control settings are then in kph too; handy for all the speed regulated areas, cameras etc. The trip computer stays in miles type calculations, unless you separately tweak that.

Can't help you directly on Nav, but can speculate it's a two step process as you are probably thinking. You need to get to an MMI version that is for Europe, and then you also need the map data. Pricy apparently now that the stuff is on flash instead of on discs, and apparently only dealers can do it now. For Euro delivery Audi just loaned us a Garmin. Not perfect for stuff like easy zooming out like via MMI, but plenty good enough for 98% of the true needs of getting from A to B.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I'll try the speedo change tomorrow.

Will probably wind up shipping the MMI back to Ingolstadt and trading it out. I've heard of some people dealing with companies in Poland, Romania, etc but I'm sure that voids the warranty. It might be a little more expensive going back thru Audi but at least I know it will be done right.

Here's wishing your Q5 a safe and speedy trip across the pond.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally got the speedo changed to KPH. Still working on the best way to get the MMI switched to euro specs - looks like the easiest way will be to use the BT in my iPhone until a more permanent solution is found.

Has the Q5 made it yet? If not, I assume it's really close. Good luck and have fun breaking her in.