Got my ticket to UK ( heathrow airport ) for the 21SEP05.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my ticket to UK ( heathrow airport ) for the 21SEP05.

Who's in london here?

I'm gonna be in Strand area for 3 years, what can I expect over there?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey boggy, a little guide to London...

London is cool, loads to do, even after all the stupid tourist stuff.

I only just got around to going on the London Eye at the weekend for the first time ever (the giant Ferris Wheel on the Thames). Great views, you'll want to take a good camera.

While you are in that area, the London Dungeons are greaet too. And free at the moment if you are 'ugly enough'. Some promotion they are doing.

Strand area is very nice. Visit the Royal Courts of Justice just East allong the Strand on Fleet St, that's where I do some of my work. Opposite those is the Temple area of London. If you read Dan Brown's 'Da Vinci Code', the Middle Temple church is the 13th century one where the monk guy catches up with them.

Strand is easy reach of Oxford street shopping (main shopping in London). All the Starbucks and similar style sandwich places are on the Strand itself, if you fancy nicer, small, coffee shops, or non-mass made sandwiches, there are thousands of places just off the main street area. You just need to explore.

While you are close to the river, it's worth having a good wander along Embankment and South Bank (roads either side of the river). There are some great views and some amazing scenery.

Of course, there is always all the typical tourist stuff to do.

Oh, and all the museums and art gallerys in London are now free. The Tate and the Tate Modern are fantastic, as is the National and the National Portrtate gallery. Tate Modern is my favourite, it's an old power station, so looks amazing from the outside too. The British Museum is my favourite, there are lots of Egyptian mummys there as well as the Rosetta Stone which is well worth a look.

The Natural History and Science Museums are great too. Though as they are all 'hands on' they are aimed a little more at kids.

If you are on the Strand, a walk to the West will take you to Trafalgar square (Nelson's Column & bronze lions) and a little further through Admiralty Arch down the Mall for an amazing view of Buckingham Palace.

Covent Garden and Leicester Square (****. Lester) are great and a very short walk. There is always loads of street theater, small, cart-based shopping and lots of nice restaurants and of course the main theater district. I'd recomend The Producers (comedy), The Woman in Black (scary) and The Lion King (yea, believe it!).

The tube is great. If you are going to be there for a while, get an Oyster card, sort of a 'swipe card' to save you using pain in the *** tickets. You can either put money onto the card or get a paid monthly one. You just tap your wallet onto the ticket barriers, there must be something similar in the US subways (don't call the tube a subway, it'll show you are some sort of visitor or tourist). Black cabs are great to, especially if you want to know some info about where you are or where you are passing. The drivers will NEVER get lost, the exams are scary, they are expected to know EVERY road in London. They call the exam 'The Knowledge'. Always use a black cab as opposed to a mini-cab (usually any old saloon car) unless you pre-arrange a price with them. But otherwise, the tube is amazing for getting around. It is VERY rare to have to change more than once on a long journey.

The best thing to do is just explore it. I have been traveling into London since I was about 15 and I still keep finding cool new things to do.

Oh and if you are coming over on the 21st, remember the last test match for the 'Ashes' tournament against Australia finished on the 12th and was at the 'Oval' in Vauxhall (Victoria line on the tube, pale blue) so if we won, you will want to visit that.

Can't think of any more at the moment, but will add more if I can think of it. Everything else will be in your guide book. Get to know the tube though, it's easy to use and is a real advantage for getting around. That said, there are secret parts of London everywhere that are beautiful and amazing, you never know what you'll find.

Regards,
Simon
Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks, will try to explore around once I get used to the climate

london is just too cold for me(I'm from malaysia)

DO you have any part time jobs available?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Would love to offer you a job man, but I'm still only a student! Trying to get jobs myself!!

London id FULL of bars and pubs though. There is an ENORMOUS foreign student population in London and they almost all work in the bars and pubs. In London that sort of thing pays pretty well too. Around £6-8/hour for typical day bar work, up to maybe £12-15 in a club in the evening.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Lets go job hunting!!

Which college are you in?
I'm in Kings College.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm at the College of Law, Store St. off Totenham Court Rd.

I'm trying to get a place with a Chambers though, I am working in a hotel bar near home at the moment though.

Bleh...
Old 09-11-2005, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Sweet! We are not that far off.

What's the typical pay/hour there?
and i dont understand whats a "chamber"?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well 'home' is an hours train journey away...

A 'Chambers' is the collective term for a group of Barristers in an office basically. In the UK lawyers are either solicitors or barristers, it's a bit different to elsewhere in the world. We do the stuff in court.

With regards to work though, there will be hundreds of places after part time students to work in bars etc in central London. It's just a case of wandering around and droping your resume in places.

Best of luck with it.
Si
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default My home would be

13hours away (by plane)

Anyways, thanks. Will drop you a mail once I settle down.

Rgds,
Chen
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Default I'm moving over too, probably late October... need to start flat-hunting soon...any tips?

Moving over on an ex-pat package with wife and two kids (2 and 4). Not sure of the housing allowance yet, but would like a 3 bedroom place.

Where in London would you recommend living? I've had a few recommendations for South Kensington but anywhere else?

Quick Reply: Got my ticket to UK ( heathrow airport ) for the 21SEP05.