Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Great design, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-1999, 04:16 PM
Lewis

Default Great design, but...

the frames layout hogs a bunch of screen, and the way the board messages are formatted, the text goes off right requiring me (on Netscape 4.61) to scroll right to finish reading a line, then back left to read the next, back right, and so on.
Is it possible to reformat the message line length to be compatible with the now reduced screen size?

lewis
Old 08-22-1999, 04:44 PM
Bob Petruska

Default I agree......

Jason, how about making the A4.org Forums: column list as a pull-down menu and give us the wide message window again. Or skip the word "forum" after each subject, left justify, and make the window that much wider.

Just some suggestions.......
Old 08-22-1999, 05:31 PM
Stoney

Default Another way to save space...

I agree about the excessive space used by the left frame. The messages extend to the right out of the window. One simple space-saver would be to make the left window more narrow... there is 3/4" to the left of the forum names. Perhaps the list of model codes could be UNDER the text, or start below the text. I don't think shortening the forum titles will save as much real estate.
Old 08-22-1999, 06:12 PM
Matt Daniels

Default Buy a bigger monitor. :-)

I knew that this would probably come up. We've designed the new site for a 800x600 minimum screen resolution, if your not set to that, then your missing out. Let me tell you, it's perfect if you're running 1600x1200 :-)

I'll look into making the left frame smaller for the forums, but unless I get a ton of complaints about it, it probably won't change.

Matt
Old 08-22-1999, 08:02 PM
Lewis

Default Redundant Navigation Frames

Matt,
pretty unusable for me (17" monitor) at 600x800 without more tweaking than i care to do ; works better at 1024x768, and i reckon i can get used to resetting to read the boards.
But, i'd still point out that the left frame with its menu selections duplicates the EXCELLENT drop down menu applets in the frame across the top (i think...going by memory since you crashed the left frame...:=)).

Just a design preference i have for reading text online; NO screen is big enough, and I hate to see reading room reduced for ?cosmetic? reasons (assuming my memory is reliable that the top and left frame navs in fact are duplicates). GREAT top nav tools!! And the new boards may make reading more efficient, or just take more time since i'll have to poke around in all the new forums now :=)
Lewis
Old 08-22-1999, 08:14 PM
Lewis

Default Maybe not...

just found that the a6 left frames were still working, and i do see that, tho there is some repetition of top frame navigation, there are page specific links here. probably true of the a4 forum page as well, eh?
"Nevermind."
Old 08-23-1999, 06:22 AM
Matt Daniels

Default The repitition wasn't intended.

When you roll over a section that is already hightlighted, I didn't want the drop down menu to appear, but the friend that programmed it for me, did it anyway. After seeing it, I decided that I didn't mind it too much and told him to leave it in.

Plus, it just woulnd't be A4.Org if we didn't make something kind of confusing. :-)

Matt
Old 08-23-1999, 10:34 AM
jjacobs

Default How about making left frame narrower.

You can tighten the language on some, go to two lines for others, and eliminate the word "Forum" on each heading for the Forums. They are already listed as Forums in the heading on top.