Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

How do I edit one of my posts? In the old software.....

Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do I edit one of my posts? In the old software.....

there was an "edit" hyperlink right next to the post. I checked the FAQ and it says
"and offers an extended range of features, including:
  • Posting new threads
  • Replying to other peoples' threads
  • Editing your posts
  • Receiving email notification of replies to posts and threads you specify
  • Sending private messages to other members
  • Creating albums of pictures and comment on others' pictures
  • Adding events to the forum calendar
  • Setting up a 'contact list' to quickly see which of your friends are online."
Note line #3, "editing posts" is supposed to be a feature of the new software. But I've searched everwhere and I can't find the "EDIT" button/command/hyperlink/whatever this SW uses. So how do I edit my posts?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey- I can edit this new post (the edit button is very obvious) but I don't get that edit function for any of my older posts?!? How am I supposed to add new information or correct my old postings????
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the edit feature is removed after a certain period of time for our posts. what that time frame is, I don't know. perhaps IB could enlighten us. shouldn't be a state secret.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fxhomie
the edit feature is removed after a certain period of time for our posts. what that time frame is, I don't know. perhaps IB could enlighten us. shouldn't be a state secret.
they don't want you deleting what they bought, your contributed content.

we have reference threads we can't even keep up to date anymore, this is a sorry state of affairs.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This lack of EDIT is frustrating, especially since I just found out today that I must move the location of a local GTG scheduled for two weeks from today. I cannot edit the original thread, and my reply gets buried along with all the other replies that I fear many will just show up in the wrong place.

If there is a moderator reading this, can I request that my edit function be turned on for that post only so I can make updates as needed???
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
This lack of EDIT is frustrating, especially since I just found out today that I must move the location of a local GTG scheduled for two weeks from today. I cannot edit the original thread, and my reply gets buried along with all the other replies that I fear many will just show up in the wrong place.

If there is a moderator reading this, can I request that my edit function be turned on for that post only so I can make updates as needed???
YOu'd have to work with the mods to edit the post then. It is true that the software locks editing after a certain period of time on all posts, so almost by default everything imported is locked to user editing. The main reason is to prevent readers from coming in and deleting all previous content I suppose.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Henry, send me the link to the post, I'll edit it for you
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Cat Herder

Originally Posted by Jason Teller
YOu'd have to work with the mods to edit the post then. It is true that the software locks editing after a certain period of time on all posts, so almost by default everything imported is locked to user editing. The main reason is to prevent readers from coming in and deleting all previous content I suppose.
yup, sabotage prevention.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sabotage? Just say that I posted a link to my own site on a past posting. I cannot now stop IB from using it for their profit even though it costs me bandwidth.

Last edited by pierreb; 03-19-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Cat Herder

Originally Posted by DumpTTruck
Sabotage? Just say that I posted a link to my own site on a past posting. I cannot now stop IB from using it for their profit even though it costs me bandwidth.

Sure, I have a legit reason to edit my old ones too...idk what to tell you. It'd be good to publish what the timeframe is for posts getting un-editable, but other than that...not sure you can do anything other than asking a mod to edit it for you.

I edited your message by accident, lol. sry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I edit one of my posts? In the old software.....