Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Mods--Please institute a "No original posts without at least x prior replies" history

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Mods--Please institute a "No original posts without at least x prior replies" history

See this thread for starters on the D3 A8 board: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24338935 Also, look at the one to which it links to see clearly the starting point.

Standing back, while I sense that D3 A8 board is hardly monitored, it has become apparent in the last 6-12 months that the board frequently has posts from "new" members who often have less than 5 prior posts, and certainly commonly fewer than 10. Instead of asking questions in other post threads, no uncommonly they want "free" help and often seem to have not even done the most basic of research. A number of us with lots of experience are starting to vocalize that more on the board as politely as we can, and it seems others with now good knowledge sets share my views.

I expect this pattern is similar on other boards as the cars age--though it didn't seem as obvious on the C5 board I have been on for a dozen years. The A8 board is usually more polite in general, so even the stereotype responses like "STFA" and quick "troll" labeling don't happen commonly that might tone it down some.

Having been on other boards like the North American Motoring board for Mini's, I think a basic new member rule and site software that precludes starting new threads--outside of a new member welcome board perhaps--until there is a history of something like at least 10 posts (which then are in the form of replies) is in order. Yes, classic training wheels but I think needed. That will discourage "post and run" opportunists who have little or no long term interest in the board and the community it represents. When members get abused--which is what I think the linked post suggests--and other long time members get frustrated to the point of posting about it and considering tuning out/leaving (me included), it's time for you to act. Sure if you want a board with a little incremental post count ridden with quasi no-nothing posts echoing back and forth and others literally afraid to hep or comment for fear of who knows what, then the "rules" as they now stand will help incent that result. Wrong answer in my book. Please do the right thing for the longer term.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-23-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Not a bad idea, I'll see if that's something I can get done.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Thanks!

Could improve quality, reduce frustration, and eliminate some spam and run and occasional scam stuff.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont agree. While the example you show is a disaster by any standards it does not represent typical interaction.
To force 10 replies before creating an OP will lead to a situation where the majority of new members with questions or problems will not take part and the spammers (and possibly genuine newbs) will just start bumping (depending on your selected viewing mode) irrelevent stuff to get their count up. I dont want it!
The transaction referred to in the example actually took place via Ebay and email off this site. It was just co-incidence that both parties are members here just as it is a co-incidence that both parties share the same bank. The discussion took off as a post event report. The older thread referred to was only replied to post event by this OPr, see the timeline.

The vast majority of new posters become regulars contributing usefully.
It is easier to deal with poor content via less regulation than more.
In case you missed it, I do not want the 10 reply rule.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it just for the hedge on spam alone. The latest rash of spam is to open an account and then start 1-4 pure spam threads. Having a minimum post count prior to having the ability to start a thread could really make a difference.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is still easier to quickly and simply remove a new thread than edit a bumped thread. There are also more tools to remove than edit and it leaves behind a cleaner forum.
We should be discussing tactics in the mods forum. I just felt there should be a balancing argument for the OP.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

That's true. I'll look over the google doc and try to block IPs as much as possible, without preventing actual users from accessing the site.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Lets add a captcha or vBulletin Motion Captcha to sign up. Most of the daily spam is bot generated.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 09-15-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: small v big B