Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

my brakes squeak terrible...only 26 K miles...help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my brakes squeak terrible...only 26 K miles...help

I own a 2015 Audi A5 Coupe . Purchased in April with 11,000 miles on it. It now has 26,400 miles and the brakes squeak ....when I brake and press slowly...not heavy braking. I've taken it to the Audi dealer and they told me "there is nothing we can do"...and that I have to "brake at 60 mph then slam on the brakes. I've owned BMW's, and there has NEVER been an issue with brakes...it's so loud that the other car drivers look at me and point at my brakes...don't know what to do ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

anthony
I had this problem on an Austin Healey, years ago. What I did solved the squeak. I bought some thin Teflon sheeting and cut out pieces that matched the brake pads shape (use the metal side, including the two mounting holes).. They were placed behind the brake pads and worked great.
Good luck
harryA4Q
Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Find yourself an empty straight road and bed your brakes. Accelerate to about 50 mph and then step on the brakes w/o triggering the ABS. Don't come to a full stop. Repeat this about 6 times and then drive the car w/o using the brakes for about 15 minutes (highway works best) to let them cool down. Don't come to a stop and sit on the hot brakes as that will imprint your pads and then you'll have vibration due to uneven pad transfer. If the noise is still there, go out and repeat the above.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
Find yourself an empty straight road and bed your brakes. Accelerate to about 50 mph and then step on the brakes w/o triggering the ABS. Don't come to a full stop. Repeat this about 6 times and then drive the car w/o using the brakes for about 15 minutes (highway works best) to let them cool down. Don't come to a stop and sit on the hot brakes as that will imprint your pads and then you'll have vibration due to uneven pad transfer. If the noise is still there, go out and repeat the above.
is this just a suggestion or you’ve tried it and it works? my 2015 A4, which only has 27k km, is terrible on squeaking. i’ve been twice to dealer and they say it’s normal. For a $60,000 car, this is SUPER bad quality.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
is this just a suggestion or you’ve tried it and it works? my 2015 A4, which only has 27k km, is terrible on squeaking. i’ve been twice to dealer and they say it’s normal. For a $60,000 car, this is SUPER bad quality.
Well, it's the other way around. I never really had squeaky brakes on an Audi, because I bed them in.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Squeaky Brakes

Originally Posted by anthony denovellis
I own a 2015 Audi A5 Coupe . Purchased in April with 11,000 miles on it. It now has 26,400 miles and the brakes squeak ....when I brake and press slowly...not heavy braking. I've taken it to the Audi dealer and they told me "there is nothing we can do"...and that I have to "brake at 60 mph then slam on the brakes. I've owned BMW's, and there has NEVER been an issue with brakes...it's so loud that the other car drivers look at me and point at my brakes...don't know what to do ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
Well, when the dealer told me "there is NOTHING that we can do, my wife, who is the smart one in the family, told me....we've been taking our cars to our local garage for years...give them a call. Our "garage" fixes all makes and models. when I called the owner, he told me that, the first thing that should have been done was to check if the brake shoes, pads, calibers and all brake parts have been "greased properly". I was not sure, so I took my car over to his shop...He had looked at the brakes and told me that a "grease job" should solve the problem..AND IT DID ! NO Squeaking brakes...Audi , simply did not take the time to do anything. My Total cost was $170.00 ...It's sad when you think that a Certified service department missed something so simple.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The squeaking is actually coming from the pad backing plate vibrating in the carrier. This can happen when very slight imperfections appear on the disc surface. Your mechanic applied "grease" to the areas where the pads touch the carrier, something I always do as well. Why the dealer couldn't figure this out is beyond me, though usually the factory trained mechanics at dealers don't resort to such old fashioned fixes in my experience.

One bad thing about greasing the brakes is dirt can build up in those areas, though in my experience the grease and dirt seems to prevent rust, so it's a 50/50 as to whether it will cause problems.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
The squeaking is actually coming from the pad backing plate vibrating in the carrier. This can happen when very slight imperfections appear on the disc surface. Your mechanic applied "grease" to the areas where the pads touch the carrier, something I always do as well. Why the dealer couldn't figure this out is beyond me, though usually the factory trained mechanics at dealers don't resort to such old fashioned fixes in my experience.
Thanks for getting back to me....I really wonder if the dealer bothered to even inspect the brakes...I guess this will have to be he fix for now.

One bad thing about greasing the brakes is dirt can build up in those areas, though in my experience the grease and dirt seems to prevent rust, so it's a 50/50 as to whether it will cause problems.
I hope this is not a frequent problem...I'm just disappointed that a trained technician could not figure this seemingly easy problem. We'll have to wait and see if this continues.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

My '15 S5 with 26K miles also has a brake squeal -- at slow speeds only. My dealer says that I'll have to leave it overnight so they can replicate the squeal as it only happens after the car has been sitting for 3-4 hours. If they can replicate, they say there is a TSB to address this; swapping out to another type/model of brake pads.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

What superswiss says will fix it. Had that issue on a '06 A6 and a '13 RS5, but do as he describes will take care of it. The "grease" fix may work too.

Quick Reply: my brakes squeak terrible...only 26 K miles...help