Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Out of Warranty and in South Florida? Good luck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Warranty and in South Florida? Good luck!

Audi cars are great, but if you live in South Florida, you may want to think twice. I owned A4, A4S, A8S, now an A8L W12 and A7. While in warranty, they are a pleasure to own. Out of warranty, at least if you live in South Florida, you may be out of luck. I had multiple experiences of repair cost shock, but none like the present. A few months ago while under factory warranty, I was told at Audi Coral Springs that I needed to repair all hoses, and those were not covered. I paid some $800 for that. Now I see a small leak at an L plastic fitting where a cooler hose connects with a metal clamp tightened with a screw. That fitting has a bleed screw that leaks a few drops a day, but they build up. There is no overheating or other indications of a problem. Anyway, the fitting has a hairline crack. This is a one inch by one inch L hard plastic fitting. I took the car for repair and they quoted me $5,000.00 as 'the engine has to be removed' in order to change, not just the fitting, but the entire hose (which is not leaking) attached to the fitting by a metal clamp! They tell me the part is $800 and the rest is labor. I got similar treatment at Prestige Audi in Aventura, but after initially correctly diagnosing that only the plastic fitting needed replacement (even laughing at the prospect of having to replace the full assembly and lowering the engine as I confided my bad experience at Coral Springs), they upped the project to include the full replacement of clamp, hose and fitting with lowering of the engine, etc. for about #2,000.00. I went online to an authorized Audi parts dealer, and bought the part for $84.00 I complained to Audi and got a letter and a call, very apologetic but insisting that I had to replace the 'whole assembly', lower the engine, etc. to repair that hairline crack on a $10 fitting... I am most unhappy with them and as much as I like Audis I am afraid the present 3 I own will be the last ones. It will be a sad divorce, Audi is all I owned for the past decade and I truly love them. I like them very much and if I buy them is because I can afford them, but I deeply dislike being ripped off.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

This is the case for any hi-line European car:

Originally Posted by Vitaver

While in warranty, they are a pleasure to own.

Welcome aboard, Vita !!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The story continues and ends well. I got the part from Jim Ellis Audi in Atlanta, online. I confirmed on the phone with them and they were very helpful and polite. Price of the part (#4E0-819-371-J): $98.95 shipping included, which I got very fast. I took it to Wagner Tire in Lauderdale, a Goodyear franchise. Dropped the Audi A8 W12 at 08:00, it was ready at 11:30. Price: $260.00 Now, compare this total cost of $360 including part with the lowest price the Audi dealers quoted me of $2,000.00 and the original quote of over $5,000.00 !!!! If there is a ripoff, abuse and outright robbery more blatant than this, I am not aware of it. I feel sorry for my fellow Audi fans that accepted and paid those south Florida dealers. I hope this serves as alert to avoid such in the future. I have copies of all docs above, if you want me, I can send them to you. I could not find the tool to post pictures here (so far). I don't mind spending money, and believe me I do spend it! But getting ripped off, allowing others to stick their hands in my pockets... that is something I can't stomach.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vitaver
Audi cars are great, but if you live in South Florida, you may want to think twice. I owned A4, A4S, A8S, now an A8L W12 and A7. While in warranty, they are a pleasure to own. Out of warranty, at least if you live in South Florida, you may be out of luck. I had multiple experiences of repair cost shock, but none like the present. A few months ago while under factory warranty, I was told at Audi Coral Springs that I needed to repair all hoses, and those were not covered. I paid some $800 for that. Now I see a small leak at an L plastic fitting where a cooler hose connects with a metal clamp tightened with a screw. That fitting has a bleed screw that leaks a few drops a day, but they build up. There is no overheating or other indications of a problem. Anyway, the fitting has a hairline crack. This is a one inch by one inch L hard plastic fitting. I took the car for repair and they quoted me $5,000.00 as 'the engine has to be removed' in order to change, not just the fitting, but the entire hose (which is not leaking) attached to the fitting by a metal clamp! They tell me the part is $800 and the rest is labor. I got similar treatment at Prestige Audi in Aventura, but after initially correctly diagnosing that only the plastic fitting needed replacement (even laughing at the prospect of having to replace the full assembly and lowering the engine as I confided my bad experience at Coral Springs), they upped the project to include the full replacement of clamp, hose and fitting with lowering of the engine, etc. for about #2,000.00. I went online to an authorized Audi parts dealer, and bought the part for $84.00 I complained to Audi and got a letter and a call, very apologetic but insisting that I had to replace the 'whole assembly', lower the engine, etc. to repair that hairline crack on a $10 fitting... I am most unhappy with them and as much as I like Audis I am afraid the present 3 I own will be the last ones. It will be a sad divorce, Audi is all I owned for the past decade and I truly love them. I like them very much and if I buy them is because I can afford them, but I deeply dislike being ripped off.

You really Provided some great Info, This will surely help me to choose my new car this year, I do not have much cars as you have , But i prefer new models every year,
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When I lived in that area there used to be a repair shop that specialized in VW and Audi. I don't remember the name of it but it was located in Hollywood.