Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Oxygen Senor Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Senor Help

I have a 2002 A6 4.2 with only 56,000 miles. Over the last several months I've had to replace 3 oxygen sensors and my check engine light went on again last night which usually means a bad os. I've been going to a local independent Audi mechanic who's been charging me $465.00 to replace each one. I think that's a high price for a mechanic but probably less than a dealer would charge here in the Boston area.
Is it common for the oxygen sensors to go bad at around the same time?
I was just reading that an exhaust leak can trigger an os trouble code.
Do you think I should get other estimates?
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely. A Bosch oxygen sensor for your Audi is $ 87.50. Perhaps your mechanic needs extra money for Christmas. He is charging you $ 377.50 just to install a new one? And not going further to really diagnose the problem. I knew I was in the wrong profession !!!!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

He does diagnose the problem but I'm curious why the oxygen sensors seem to be going bad all around the same time?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Auto Repair Estimates - Get Honest Car Repair Costs

https://www.yourmechanic.com/book/
Old 04-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=audisnob;24892838]I have a 2002 A6 4.2 with only 56,000 miles. Over the last several months I've had to replace 3 oxygen sensors and my check engine light went on again last night which usually means a bad os. I've been going to a local independent Audi mechanic who's been charging me $465.00 to replace each one. I think that's a high price for a mechanic but probably less than a dealer would charge here in the Boston area.
Is it common for the oxygen sensors to go bad at around the same time?
I was just reading that an exhaust leak can trigger an os trouble code.
Do you think I should get other estimates?
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE

That's crazy you can do it by yourself but it is not normal at all they last much longer . I am pretty shore Audi dealer will charge you less than that and you will be given genuine parts