Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Q5 board post hang up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Q5 board post hang up?

How come on the Q5 board there is a post about oil consumption that is stuck at the top of page 1 all the time, whether it is updated with a reply or not? (I use threaded mode). It leaves me the quick impression nothing is new on the whole board--since in threaded mode the posts with the newest replies or first post date should be on top--so I just move on. Only recently did I look harder and see many posts below it that clearly have more recent replies. It erroneously signaled to me that board must be kind of a ghost town since i was just starting to check it out.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Well now you know. The sticky puts all the oil related posts together rather than having many threads
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FWIW, not a good idea

as far as I'm concerned, at least as implemented. To me the board looks dead at first/quick glance, like nothing changes in ten days. It isn't clearly marked in a way I see as a sticky like in other non AW forums like North American Motoring and many others. There is nothing like that on either the D3 board or the C5 board, where I have posted literally thousands of times. The only place I recall seeing it is on the tire board where obviously there is also some sponsorship and where the posts have the word "sticky" right in the title.

I'm also scratching my head with the comment back it's to put all the posts in one place, when the OP date is only about two weeks ago. If the same logic applied, I would expect a lot more grouping of probably higher volume topics like which oil, which brake pads, which tires, MMI, bluetooth and Nav issues and many other oft repeated ones. I agree there is a lot of redundancy on the boards, but a one off like this seems like it could use more thought. I've also offered up before to consider not letting new members start new threads until they have a track record of reply posts first. In my own experience, much of the redundancy comes from quasi one time posters who just want someone else to solve their issue with no work, and then they aren't seen again. That approach at least forces either some tracking of the board, or seaching the archives first and posting a reply to a prior post on a similar topic. For me as a deep poster, it's a turn off to see that stuff.

Finally, FWIW this thread had left me the impression some poster(s) maybe had a high opinion of themselves and somehow got special treatment or something given it isn't the norm from my user experience. Maybe mistaken, but it starts from the seeming lack of user experience consistency across the AW forums. As some competitive feedback, I've found the D3 situation still pretty split across the AW and QW sites. Some of the same w/ the Q5 from what I've seen so far, but w/ probably most all posters post that split era. Going forward if I get a Q5, I may go to just one of the boards. That particular post is not one to lead with visually to me, at least as a long time experienced Audi owner and twice new buyer, where that oil consumption back and forth is not news.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Well now you know. The sticky puts all the oil related posts together rather than having many threads

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-29-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Truth be told, I've never been a huge fan of sticky posts, especially in threaded view. I need to see if the IB guys can find a way to create a sticky for threaded that is a different color. I've also asked them if they can make the thing collapse, like the categories can.. Much of this is a learning experience for everyone, since AW is the only VB site in the world with this kind of threaded view.

Stay tuned, hopefully we'll have some interesting new tweaks in 2013!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks!

And, looking forward to what you can figure out, there and otherwise. The somewhat countervailing point about trying to reduce and centralize redundant posts into more of a cumulative database, register or something has merit of course too.

Best of luck and thanks for working on it.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I think all have had long enough to read it. No new replies so I am going to unstick it right now. Thanks for your patience (and drawing attention) to those using view style that doesnt work well with it.