Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

so last time I asked for a suspension of this troll who posts major spoilers it wasn't granted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ding.

Overmoderated forums get old in a hurry. And die a slow death.

Before internet forums were the rage, folks exchanged info via USENET. And you'd get your trolls and flamers and what have you. Well, sometimes people would vote to moderate a newsgroup. There is no quicker way to death than to take an unmoderated newsgroup and moderate it.

One group I used to go to all the time was rec.bicycles.off-road. It was unmoderated, and pretty active. Then a troller got in and was making a lot of OT posts, and folks got fed up and voted for moderation.

It went from a 100-post/day group to a 10-post/day group. Now it is all but dead.

Crying and whining about someone else's internet behavior means nothing. Especially if the postings are not contrary to the TOU or TOS for the forum in question. They may be rude, but hey - some folks are rude on purpose, and there's no way to avoid them, short of holing up in your house and living off canned food for the rest of your life.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^^^Post should be titled "Logic takes a holiday".

Before you get all uptight about yet another percieved internet slight, look up some of these common logical fallacies in the provided link:

Straw man.

Ad hominem.

Red herring.

After you're done with that, and can understand how to apply them, then maybe you can discuss logic intelligently. Or, you could just go watch TV.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/">Education</a></li></ul>
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is funny that people assume I am "worked up" about this. adamant would be the better word...

I just see it as a matter of right and wrong. Coming onto the forum as a troll and intentionally ruining a show or movie for someone on a continuous basis is wrong, and I don't see how that person should not be suspended. What are they bringing to the community other than negativity to warrant allowing them to keep their account?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol, I suggest you do the same internet tough guy hero. you're still taking everything...

in black and fight and continuing to wage this internet fight against me. I have NOT advocated censorship of this forum, there is a HUGE difference between censoring the forum and eliminating those accounts that exist for the sole purpose of ruining the experiences of other members, which this individual has expressed his intent to do (implicitly in his screen name: "causing chaos" and explicitly in his actions - intentionally bringing nothing but negativity to the forum). You paint everything as black and white , and that is simply not the case, but you are still a moron so I expect it. You need to do more than read those links, perhaps go back to school for a while also? Anxiously awaiting your next reply.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I understand your point, it is a safer bet to steer clear of a forum, but the reality is that ...

not everyone has a chance to watch tv on a consistent basis and the same is very much true with movies. Here we have an individual who has expressed an intent to ruin tv shows and movies on a consistent basis. He is operating on a troll account "causing chaos" and has brought nothing to the forum except attempts to ruin other users' experiences. This is his second deliberate major spoiler, and he has expressed that he will continue it in the future. With that in mind, why are we keeping this person around? This is not a case of a veteran user who got drunk and had a slip up or someone just being a jerk who will change. It is a person whose sole purpose on the forum is to ruin the experiences of other users, which is why I fail to see why suspension is not appropriate.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a second instance, coupled with his prior posts, along with his user name, and his...

expressed intent to continue this in the future. I respect your decision, but I fail to see how this isn't suspension worthy.

This individual has created a troll account named "causing chaos". His prior 30ish posts have consisted of calling users homosexuals, ****, berating them for being virgins etc. etc. I never said a word about this in feedback, as I understand that merely making fun of people or being a jerk can't result in suspension/deletion, because that is an over regulated forum. However, this individual has now also intentionally ruined television shows in the subject line of a thread and expressed an intent to continue this behavior in the future (he already has, this is his second instance of it). So now we have a user who has brought nothing but negativity (which is fine) but didn't get enough enjoyment, so he has escalated it to intentionally ruining the experiences of other users. And I am NOT the only one who has a problem with movies and tv shows being ruined. No person likes to know that Darth is Luke's father before they've seen the movie.

With all that in mind, why are you keeping this person around? This is not a case of a veteran user who got drunk and had a slip up or someone just being a jerk who will change. It is a person whose sole purpose (as evidenced by their posts/troll account) on the forum is to ruin the experiences of other users, which is why I fail to see why deletion is not appropriate. If I make a troll account and post 1 is a new movie spoiler, post 2 is a new tv show spoiler, post 3 is the ending of a book, post 4 movie, so forth, what is the point of having me on the forum, just delete my account, if I "do it again" like you said, delete that account too? If the behavior is tolerated it will continue, and not tolerating it is NOT censorship, its just doing the right thing. I'll respect what you do in the end because I enjoy the forum and use it for free, but my points will stand. Thanks for considering it at least.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Again, there are other colors than black and white. How is this hard for you to see?

There is a difference from being a jerk like you are and someone crying for your suspension, and a person who posts "******, SP1C, CH1NK, C00N" in a subject line in the forum, and that is all they do. The mods will delete that person, they won't delete you.

There is also a difference between a person who posts pictures of people being brutally murdered over and over again, and then posts child ****, or a kid being raped, versus a person who posts hot pictures of lindsay lohan. One will be deleted, the other won't.

And there is a difference between a person who slips up once and posts a spoiler, but is also an active participant in the community and was just being a jerk that night, versus a person who creates a troll account named "causing chaos" berates users for about 30 posts and then decides to engage in posting spoilers that will ruin tv shows and movies (maybe not for you) for hundreds of users who actually bring more to the forum than negativity. One won't get deleted and one should.

Sure we could just sit back and ignore these users, but deleting their accounts is not some affront to speech or a form of censorship. If I make a troll account tomorrow and make 100 straight posts ruining movies and tv shows for everyone, why keep me around? There is a clear difference between that conduct and simply being a jerk, and my troll account should be deleted.

I understand that you have waged some deluded internet war against me (as you have before, its expected from you being the tough guy you are), so you fail to see how there are distinct differences here and will just trumpet free speech and an over regulated forum trying to be a hero, without stopping to consider that there are not always broad strokes that apply to everything.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Logic takes a holiday, Part 2.

You didn't do any reading.

Straw man: in paraphrase, it is assigning someone a position that is not their actual position, then attacking that assigned position.

Another one of your favorites: false dilemma.

A close second: the appeal to emotion.

If you would like to find my logic errors, that's perfectly fine. Go ahead.

Here's a secret - I'm already familiar with logic. Real logic, not the kind you are pretending to have.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same thing.

Being adamantly wrong is still wrong. No matter how forceful your appeal to emotion, it's still rests on your lack of discipline. That is, seeing a troll, and ignoring said troll.

BTW, your analogies don't cut it if the situations you are comparing are not actually analogous.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read the AW TOU/TOS agreement.

If posting spoilers is prohibited, you have a case.

If not, then you are doing nothing of value.

You can use the logical fallacy of personal attack all you like. It doesn't change facts, nor the minds of the moderators. The more you argue, the sillier you look.

Quick Reply: so last time I asked for a suspension of this troll who posts major spoilers it wasn't granted...