Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

so last time I asked for a suspension of this troll who posts major spoilers it wasn't granted...

Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part of the problem I have in general...

...is the utter lack of logic folks bring to the table in these discussions.

It is not fashionable these days (for the last 100 years or so, LOL) to study logic or rhetoric. But it is the very basis of having a rational and reasoned discussion. Even if folks have a disagreement over a course of action, a discussion based on logic is always better than on based on emotion.

When I have a discussion on the internet, my basis is alsways in logic, even if I step out sometimes and engage the logical fallacy of personal attack. But that's rarely an opening gambit.

I have characterized everything you have written correctly - as-written. If some of the stuff you wrote wasn't exactly what you meant, then that's something I can't address.

The one thing I have that you don't is forum moderation experience. I used to belong to a computer gaming group that had it's own web forum. It also had an OT/politics forum. It got way out of hand (IMO), and I began with the banninating and baleetions. I literally killed that forum section by using my discretion. The same discretion the mods have here.

It was fun before I killed it. Yeah, it got a little out of hand, but if I hadn't been lazy and just went about the hack-and-slash, and instead engaged the offenders as to what their posts meant to others, things might have turned out differently. My screw-up there leads me to a very hands-off opinion on forum moderation. That and the other great unmoderated chat room that USENET was.

USENET newsgroups have forever been the domain of flamers and trolls. The *only* way to get rid of those folks, in an unmoderated group, is to utterly ignore them. Again, over a decade and a half of USENET experience has taught me this. The other way to get rid of them is by moderating the group. IME, this kills the group in question.

I did not come to my position by anything but hard experience, and I am of the mind that the only way to absolutely avoid offense on the internet is to not connect to it.

One last thing - I have never once defended the actions of the troll. I think it was jerky to do. But as I said before, if everyone got spanked for being a jerk, AWOT would have zero posts.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

fair enough, I can respect that. I think we have finally reached the end of this lol
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Elder Member

this post just made my day - seriously lollerskating all over the place