Reload this Page >

keeping magazines loaded.....

keeping magazines loaded.....

Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R2.7TA6 View Post
well folks, I'll stand by my comments.

Couple of points of reference, I was at Cabela's this past week. Armorer's rep. from Glock was there, he was passing through from Chicago to L.A. from some seminars. He was meeting with the Cabela's gun reps, talking to customers, etc. Had the chance to meet with him as well. This thread and some others from the past were in the back of my mind, I posed this to him. His advice, and he said advice that Glock has given in the past, firearms that are in storage or not used on a daily should not be stored with a full mag. They recommend 75% of cap. also to reduce stress on spring. Granted it's a spring, and designed to be used as such, but too much pressure can, over time, cause it to loose it's tension and not allow the mag. to feed properly if brought into use.

Also, ran this question by some friends and family in local LE, they all said there in-house armorers or firearms trainers recommend that for non-duty weapons, they should not be kept with fully loaded mags at all, time 75 to 80% is their recommended.

BTW, the comment about jacking your car up every night it not a valid argument. If I was parking my car to leave it stored for 3 or 4 months and not be used at all, I would put it on stands and leave the tires only lightly touching the ground.
Thank you. This was useful. I have a Glock .040 that I keep all mags stored and fully loaded. I will take out 10 or so tonight and just keep 5 in there.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've carried a gun into battle for much of the last 10+ years. I've kept 21 loaded AR mags of various manufacturers in my vehicle bag, and usually have no less than 6 loaded mags on my kit throughout entire deployments. While I've shot through and reloaded the 6 loaded mags and my sidearm mags on a weekly basis, I've only had to go to my vehicle bag during a few engagements. Otherwise, I have gone entire deployments at times with the vehicle bag mags not being touched other than to check for any deformities when time permitted. Anyone telling you that leaving a magazine loaded will somehow destroy the springs in your mags or the mags either have zero practical/actual experience in the carrying of a gun for duty use, or they are using crap mags. Check your mags routinely and use a gauge to measure the lips of your mags. If you unload the mag, move the top round to the bottom of the mag or better yet, shoot it as continued chambering of the same round can lead to bullet setback. But otherwise, for the casual shooter or home defense gun, you're not destroying a modern quality magazine/spring by leaving it loaded.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my mags loaded for years with no issues. I have occasionally unloaded, cleaned & lived. Then reload them.