Audi key can be considered "prohibited item" and confiscated by TSA at airport screening

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi key can be considered "prohibited item" and confiscated by TSA at airport screening

Nice.

Airport security confiscates flier's car key as 'prohibited item'
A passenger at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) had his Audi car key confiscated by airport security screeners, who insisted the key was a "prohibited item." The trouble seems to have started because of passenger Nathan Rau's standard-issue car key for his Audi, writes Joe Sharkey, business travel columnist for The New York Times (free registration). The new Audi keys actually hold the ignition key inside a fashionable holder that's designed to minimize damage to the carrier's pockets. When ready to start the car, the driver pushes a button on the 2-inch holder and the key slides out. Of course, to the screeners at DFW, Rau's key seemed awfully similar to a switchblade. They ran it through the x-ray machine three times, before Rau says he was told: ""Well, sir, that's a switchblade style, and that's a prohibited item. We're going to have to confiscate that." In addition to the $300 Rau says he had to spend to get a duplicate key from his car dealership, the incident raises a key complaint of frequent travelers: security procedures that seem to vary widely from airport to airport. Rau says he hadn't previously had problems with the key at other airports.<ul><li><a href="http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm">Yes. I feel much safer flying now.</a></li></ul>
Old 06-22-2005, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I dont know man,Audi keys and toenail clippers are hot items on the weapons black market these days.

I prefer my weapons to be of the fictional mass distruction type myself.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 AM

Gov't overly paranoid much?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I really have to put a time frame on my post for it to make sense? Recent history is a b!tch.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 AM

Easy Frances.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Who our allies, the Turks, bombed the F*ck out of with intel we provided from operation northern

watch. I was involved in that mission directly and it's the main reason I left the Air Force when I did. Talk about a hypocritical government! You're a classic right winger. Throwing up a smoke screen of irrelevant history to mask this administration's short comings. Whatever happened to real republicans? I could respect them, not like you slimy Neo-cons.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Who was president during that time? Clinton wasnt it?

Of course, no one had a problem with Clinton throwing us into Kosovo, or Somalia to wag the dog.....but let a republican administration act like politicians, and all of a sudden everyone is self righteous.

In typical, hysterical liberal fashion you've resorted to name calling early in the debate. Is it because of Ed Klein's new book?

I really thought your incredibly intelligent, and politically savvy wife would have won you over by now.

HAH! Me? A neo-con? I'm more libertarian than anything. We need a strong 3rd party to break up this polarization. But we all know that won't happen.

I was just countering Christian's political barb (in a light hearted manner). I thought this thread was about the inneficiences of government run agencies such as the TSA. Privatize I say! I was at a conference not along ago and a guy gave a brief on airport security technology. Lets just say if you know what you are doing, you could sneak an elephant through.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 AM

Default So only left leaning comments are allowed now? I thought you guys were against censorship?

Sheesh....Jody and I can't engage in a good natured debate anymore? (well my side was good natured- his was mean spirited and hysterical in typical liberal fashion ;-)

I thought this thread was about the laughable inneficiencies of government agencies. I was just countering one political barb with another.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM

Default It would be easy to sharpen the end of it. Why do they still allow pens and pencils?

Put an armed marshall on every flight and all we have to worry about are explosives.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:29 AM

The mods suck! BTW. Need to take away JC's mod privileges since he's not an Audi owner anymore!

Quick Reply: Audi key can be considered "prohibited item" and confiscated by TSA at airport screening