I just finished building my AV cabinet... it's a copy of the Salamander "Synergy" design... - Page 3 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Home Theater & Electronics Discussion
Reload this Page >

I just finished building my AV cabinet... it's a copy of the Salamander "Synergy" design...

I just finished building my AV cabinet... it's a copy of the Salamander "Synergy" design...

Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea safety is an issue. Those speakers aren't going anywhere...

I used blu-tac to hold them in place and they've been stuck like that literally for years. I even picked up the entire speaker and stand by the speaker itself, and those stands are close to 100lbs each.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. I actually lost track of exactly what I spent... but it was somewhere around $700

Now I also bought some tools and stuff that added a few hundred but those are things I'll always have and be able to use for future projects.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually did all the fabrication in the basement and garage...

The original mock-up assembly was done in the basement on sawhorses. I built it up over the course of several weeks as I finished each component. Once I got everything assembled and fitted to my liking, I took it all apart to stain and polyurethane the individual components. Then when everything was dry and ready for final assembly, I decided to put it back together in the living room so as not to have to lift the finished piece up a flight of stairs from my basement. By the time I got it to the point where you see it here, it was just like a piece of modular assembly furniture. Just put it together and tighten the bolts.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ha, I lost track of actual man hours. Overall this project took a few months...

I started buying the raw materials last fall, probably around September. Unfortunately because I'm so busy with so many things, it took a lot longer than I had planned. I worked on it little bits at a time, for a couple hours each weekend. Glue up some panels, let it dry... sand it the next weekend... then the following weekend we'd have family plans so nothing would get done. And that's how it went.

I was actually finished with the mockup by mid December, but then it got so damn cold outside that I couldn't stain it outside or in my garage. So I waited a few weeks hoping we'd get a break in the weather. It never came. So then I decided to build a paint booth in my basement by forming a sealed tent out of heavy duty plastic drop cloth. Then I rigged a ventilation system with a fan and some dryer vent pipe leading out of the house to keep the fumes from stinking up the whole house. It worked like a charm!

But if I had to guess, I'd say at least 40 man hours went into it.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I lost track, but rough guess around $700. My original estimate was around $500 before I started

but as it went I ended up changing a few ideas and a few things ended up costing a bit more than I had expected. Like those perforated metal panels from Menards. I had to buy three of them and they were $40 bucks each. I thought they'd be a lot less.

I also had to invest in some tools which added another few hundred to the cost, but I'll use them again.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here you go...

I got the legs ere...
http://www.tablelegsonline.com/shop/212-angled-xh8022b-p-414.html?cPath=9_125

And the hinges here...
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/cabinet_hinges.php?iorb=4764
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey all, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated!

I'll respond directly to individual posts with specific questions....
Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, I'm making a list. The 80/20 source? Same as the legs?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no, 80/20 has different distributors depending on where you are located...

I got mine from Affiliated Control here in the Chicago area. Just go to the 80/20 website and there should be a selection to find your local distributor. They will cut and tap everything according to your specifications. Cutting and tapping charges will apply, but it's very reasonable.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I just finished building my AV cabinet... it's a copy of the Salamander "Synergy" design...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: