OT: anyone here have a turntable? - AudiWorld Forums

Notices

OT: anyone here have a turntable?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OT: anyone here have a turntable?

I'm considering getting into the vinyl game. Looking at Pro-Ject, Rega or Music Hall, the main players. Price range between$500-$800 if possible. Go...
Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Fry, yes. It's old school and you've probably never heard of the marque.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Marque? is that a brand?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i'll have to check it out
Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have 5 x Technics 1200M3D turntables.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Really old school: Sota Saphire... the original one from the 80's that sucks the vinyl down flat with a vacuum pump.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

kinda cool idea. Bought a Pro-Ject today
Old 12-24-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As you delve into vinyl...

remember that the record groove is tracked differently, depending ton the shape of the the stylus. Especially for used records, there is likely a part of the groove that is "clean" and can be retrieved by selecting a phono cartridge that sources the virgin part of the track. So, in the day, I always had two turntables - one with a conical stylus that tended to track heavy and a hyperelliptical stylus that tracked very light (0.75-1.25 grams). Depending on the album, I could find a clean path and make an archival recording. In a prior life before my career as a research scientist, I had a radio show in Boston and studied audio and video production at Emerson College. I was a dedicated Audiophile and Boston was a happening place in the 1970's and 1980's. I did an awful lot of custom recording for folks using high end cassette decks such as my beloved Nakamichi Dragon and many others. It lead me to an interest in animal acoustic communication and I have worked with many species of birds, honeybees and canids. Then a focus on the noise of urban ecosystems and the impacts on biodiversity.

Records are like high performance tires - you get a few epic laps before they settle down to a 90% life and slow decline. My favorite recordings were the dbx encoded vinyl that would be expanded through the decode interface and out through a 3bx, three band dynamic range expander. For the car, we used a dbx compressor so that all of the music would fit into 30db of dynamic range.

Many of the albums that I got were discarded discs from radio stations that had cue burn and other ticks and pops. Radio stations almost always used conical styli tracking at 3-5grams (the equivalent of a brick). This prevented skipping, but plowed the grooves. I would bring them home and play them through a hyperelliptic stylus (Grado was a fav) and get a very clean playback. Older consumer vinyl needs just the opposite treatment to recover a clean sound.

Before moving to LA, I gave away nearly 600 albums to audiophile friends, plus let go about $25K worth of analog stereo gear.

If vinyl is catching your ear, try some of the HD tracks in the the full digital recovery modes. They are so precise, you can hear the tape edits on older music.

have fun, its great to see the revival

Eric
Old 12-24-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's so much fun! I am loving the vinyl! the sound is so much crisper than a CD. and I had a dragon, such a cool cassette deck, wish I had kept it! loved how it popped out for the auto reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: anyone here have a turntable?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: