hello, need a little help with my MC-1 K-26 Turbo assembly ***Solved***

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello, need a little help with my MC-1 K-26 Turbo assembly ***Solved***

Right solved it mates I jsut srunk an extra upper MC piston rin down to a perfect fit width diameter and depth wise, the turbine now rides perfectly on the old line where you could see it ran before, obviously somthing did fit in there weather it be a gasket or what have you, cause without it it was a no way in hell fit lol. Thanks fer lookin .

Note* new to the forums so I am sorry If this is slightly OT or not in the correct area.

Howdy guys I am a little stuck here and hoping some of you may have a soloution. This will teach me a lesson for taking it appart a year in advance to rebuilding it

The Problem: A K-26 Turbo From an MC-1 Engine

I am putting my turbocharger back together after a rebuild and am getting the exhaust turbine wheel hitting too deep when I try to clamp down the exhaust housing the final little bit, also I notice that with the exhaust housing tightend down all the way the heat shield clanks around in there and is not being held in place yet. ( I have made sure that I have 100% put everything inside the turbo together correct)

Someone mentioned that there is supposed to be maby a little o-ring or gasket that fits in there to space it out a touch. I just sliped a spare o-ring that are used for the compressor backing plate or seal plate (not the big orange one for the compressor cover), around the heat shield and installed it again for a test fit, and now I no longer get any binding of the turbine shaft in the housing aswell as the heat shield is now held together in there firmly and dosnt clank about.

Now I have another K-26 turbocharger off of my KH engine (1985 year first water cooled version I belive) same cold sides and center sections but the KH Turbo has a smaller diamater exhaust wheel. I notice that this turbos Exhaust housing has a much shallower lip and by slipping the heat shield on as it should go the exhaust wheel clears the housing and clamps down perfectly every time as well as the heat shield is fixed firmly in place.

The MC-1 K-26 with this much deeper lip in the housing looks to me that there is no way it will ever go together without some form of gasket or spacer to prevent it from binding on the wheel. I have tried so many times getting it exactally centered as I tighten, but it's no good.
Is there some kind of Seal,O-ring, or gasket/spacer that slips in there with the heat shield and exhaust housing to get the housing to fit corectally? The KH engine Turbo obviously needs nothing as it's housing has a very shallow lip.

Cheers guys,

Michael.

PS. Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as I can think of on the first post.