AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Inline-5 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/inline-5-discussion-109/)
-   -   Need help getting a 2.2 Turbo swap running (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/inline-5-discussion-109/need-help-getting-2-2-turbo-swap-running-2883621/)

Knewshound 05-19-2015 01:54 PM

Need help getting a 2.2 Turbo swap running

Together with a few others, we purchased an 1987 4000CI with a 2.2 Euro spec turbo swap. This is, if we can get the darn thing ready and running, our entry into a Lemons race.

The car was sold to us by a local guy that was intending it to be a Rally car but they went another direction and sold this one to us. In the spitit of Lemons, we actually did spend only 500 bucks on it. We hope to part out a lot of the interior and other pieces we dont need and spend it on upgrades, if possible.

We were told that it was running but had a bad head gasket and they started to tear it down before stopping then selling it. The seller seemed to be very knowledgeable about Audi in general and turbo swaps as well. We were able to look at his cherry 4000 CI 2.2 turbo and it was clean and fast.

We brought it home and I spent some time getting the alternator, cooling system and anything else I could see that was disconnected, hooked back up. There is NO dash or much of anything else in the interior. Once I got everything I could find reconnected I gave it a crank in the faint hope it might actually start. No such luck.

As I was doing a compression check I found literally pools of fuel in the combustion chambers. The compression was low all around but I suspect some of that may be from the fuel removing any oil from the cylinders and causing a dry fit and low compression.

Any and all advice would be welcome. I am a pretty good mechanic and a very good fabricator but this is my first Audi. Naturally I picked a motor swap to cut my teeth on to make it as complicated as possible :)

It seems to be getting no spark at all. Using the Bently manual lead me to the coil which "seems" to be testing out of spec. Before I shell out money for parts I would love to see what the brain trust here thinks.

Thanks in advance.

knewshound and the "Piece of **** in the front of the house racing team."

Such as it is !

x19 05-20-2015 07:08 PM

>As I was doing a compression check I found literally pools of fuel in the >combustion chambers. The compression was low all around but I suspect >some of that may be from the fuel removing any oil from the cylinders and >causing a dry fit and low compression.

Any and all advice would be welcome. I am a pretty good mechanic and a very good fabricator but this is my first Audi. Naturally I picked a motor swap to cut my teeth on to make it as complicated as possible :)

It seems to be getting no spark at all. Using the Bently manual lead me to the coil which "seems" to be testing out of spec. Before I shell out money for parts I would love to see what the brain trust here thinks.

Thanks in advance.

knewshound and the "Piece of **** in the front of the house racing team."

Such as it is ![/QUOTE]

Hi, before you chase another problem. Here are 3 thing must be good or under managed.
#1) Good compression over 120 psi (Min.) and you can move next but you have low and may be timing belt jumped or valve(s) wasn't seat well or burnt ? Check out first! and
#2 ) flesh fuel is in tank or
#3 )[/U][/U] Spark must present when clanking engine.
Good luck. x19

Knewshound 06-01-2015 08:00 AM

As I said, we have decent compression, LOTS of fuel and no spark.

We have decided to give up on the almost 30 year old factory EFI and ECU and go with something more modern.

We are going to switch over to a Megasquirt and convert to modern fuel injectors. We just think we will be time and money ahead by not spending a hundred hours and many hundreds of dollars fixing a system that will be unreliable for racing even if it is a Lemons race.

Anyone with words of wisdom on this conversion is more than welcome.

Speaking of which, if anyone has CHEAP performance parts, new or especially used, please let us know !