Strange 'No Start' after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 'No Start' after timing belt change

Hi All;
Here's the situation. I replaced the water pump and timing belt on my '86 5000 2.2L Turbo (MC) and when finished, it started right up and idled fine (pleasantly smug!). However, there was some 'ticking/clattering' noise, and after 1-2 minutes idling, I turned it off WITH THE KEY!! Since the car had been sitting for a month, I thought that might be the lifters low on oil, (although the noise was somewhat louder than I would have expected). When I returned when a stethoscope, she would NOT START! Cranks fine, but no start.
I then noticed that I could not hear the elect fuel pump pre-pressurizing the line so changed the fuel pump relay - still no 'buzz' with key 'on'. Then hot wired the FP directly, pump buzzing merrily (thankfully). Loosened the banjo fitting downstream (output) on the fuel filter, with fuel spraying out with good pressure. Re-connected fuel line - still no start.
Then double checked the timing marks (flywheel/cam gear dot/distributor notch) and all seems fine, set as per Bentley. Then removed the high tension lead from the center of the distributor and held it next to the head, what do you know, no spark. But, should it arc to the alloy head?
Did a fault code 'blink-blink' test and got blink fault 2113 ("VAG 1551/2 Fault code No. 00515 Hall sender in distributor Distributor alignment, faultly sender, Mis-located sensor and distributor" as per SJM Autotechnik web site) But distributor wasn't removed, and Hall sender wasn't touched. And since it was running prior to turning it off - what gives??
I'm having difficulty finding what connection, if any, there is to these symptoms. Or am I just fortunate to have multipe/concurent failures?
Anyways, whats next?
Any Help?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had many starting problems with my 86 and 91 5k 200 turbo

as I was reading your post I had that bloody hall sender runing in my head and there it was as per the code. You can get the distributor refurbished by a shop with a new hall sender part or buy one that has been already done and have warranty. Make sure that is sitting correctly in place, I believe there is an aligning mark on the block where the dist sits. Even if it's off by a bit, she won't work cuz the computer won't throw the spark since it doesn't know where the dist is sitting. Good luck.