TURBO HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO HELP!!!

IM new to the 20v its smoking pretty bad and i have kept a eye on the coolant and the oil but no signs of coolant in my oil from a head gasket, could it be a seal in the turbo i think but not sure, it is also peaking out on oil pressure. HELP PLEASE
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it always smoking, or just when accelerating?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM

Default How long has it been going on? Getting worse? Could be...

turbo going south, could be oil level too full, could be valve seals in cylinder head, could be (but doubtful) piston rings.
How many miles on car?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Is it always smoking, or just when accelerating?

it just started doing it like a week or so ago, and also its smoking at the oil feed line on the turbo
Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Re: How long has it been going on? Getting worse? Could be...

i thought it could have been the oil to so i replaced it and it atill doing it, its also smoking at the oil feed line on the turbo and my excaust housing glows after 5-10 mins of running. 191000
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Bad wastegate?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glowing manifold is usually a seriously clogged cat or....

you car is running super lean. Being a turbo I would triple check those first. Oil on acceleration is rings and burning oil at idle and deceleration is valve seals. Smoke from the oil feed line from the turbo would lead me to guess that things are cooking in there which would bring things back to the first two suggested items. If they are getting so hot that things are glowing then oil, while important, is the least of your problems. If your cylilnders are getting that hot the motor will seize no matter what oil you are using. I have seen turbo blocks with the piston fused to the cylinder because the owner was driving at full boost under seriously lean conditions. That block was 800+ hp, but the concept is the same.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM

i put a semco? dv on it with the medium spring in it
Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Glowing manifold is usually a seriously clogged cat or....

the temp has also ways been the same, the turbo seems to be the only thing thats getting super hot. so should i just take off my turbo and go from there?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Glowing manifold

Turbos are a big restriction by themselves. At high boost levels, the manifold and turbo will likely be cherry-red - will cool from glowing before you could ever see under the hood. However, a seriously clogged cat will further enhance the problem, and has a tendency to clog from boiling liquid particulates passing through it after passing through the engine - coolant, rich fuel mixture, oil, all could potentially clog a cat. Start the car and wait for exhaust to get hot at turbo, climb underneath and feel the cat(s). Carefully feel before and after the cat, the difference in temp should be minimal. If it is cold after the cat when extremely hot before, likely your cat is clogged...
Then find the reason for the clogged cat. Could be extremely rich mixture as well... so ignore the rich and lean for now, don't boost, find your oil leak. A -going- turbo can produce lots of smoke at all of these intervals, and will eventually break the shaft of the turbo on a cold start or under boost, causing ~LOTS~ of oil from the tailpipe.

As CQ mentioned - does the smoke happen all the time? A puff of smoke on start-up? Worse as car warms up? Smoke mostly on boost, idle, decel?

Need to remove intake plumbing at turbo and check turbine shaft for excessive play, then a leak-down test(tests rings) to determine source if from the engine. If low compression in a certain cylinder, add a little oil through the spark plug hole. Sometimes the compression will rise noticeably, showing the rings are bad (oil helps to form a temporary seal).
Sorry for rambling, hope some of it makes sense. Other feel free to correct & update.

Quick Reply: TURBO HELP!!!