ISO ASE Certified Brake Tech/ Patent Lawyer (calling Jim).

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISO ASE Certified Brake Tech/ Patent Lawyer (calling Jim).

I replaced the pads on the 944 today and all went reasonably well. I started at the right front and was happy to see how simple it was. There wasn't even a spring retainer to worry about! Then I moved on to the other three and learned that there WAS a spring retainer to worry about. So, apparently the last guy to do the brakes lost and did not replace a retainer spring clip. Any chance of trouble? I assume this might explain some squealing.

I'm inclined to leave it alone until I am back from VIR (fix it when I put the street pads back on.

Do the spring retainers do anything that important? (I assume that they steady the pads.)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you're talking about something to keep the pads from rattling, they're optional.

The track pads for my A6 (pre-Stoptech) were different from the stock setup and did not have any type of springs/clips to keep them from rattling around. I called the manufacturer and they said this is how most track pads were.

To be clear, the clips/springs that keep the pad from rattling are optional. But your post said spring "retainer". If it's a spring retainer and has the function of retaining the pad, then that's important.

So, is it an an anti-rattle clip/spring or is it a retaining device? If there is no chance of the pad coming out, you should be fine. My 944 has upgraded brakes so I don't know what you are referring to.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 AM

I'll take a look at mine tonight after work and see if I can offer any assistance.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The missing part is not like the spring-wire on the OEM Audi A6. It's a flat, springy...

... plate that fits under the two "pins" that slip through the holes in the brake pad backing. The pins and the caliper will hold the pad. I suspect that the springs just stabilize the pad under some circumstances.

I'll probably get the parts and if I get a chance, change them at VIR.

I got the HT-10s bedded in last night (I LOVE THAT SMELL). I was on my junky street tires and managed to find the lock-up threshold quite a few times! I'm sure going to have a lot of new stuff to think about at VIR.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM

Default With the "springy plate" descriptor, yes I think that is just for stabilizing and ...

you can live without it for a while.

And yes, dealing with no ABS is a challenge, but fun.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You should replace it before going on the track...

yes, it "just" stabilizes the pads, but why would you want to be driving on the track with any question about the stability of your pads? You could easily end up with the car pulling to one side under hard braking. You should be able to control it, but questionable brakes are one of the last things you want to have to deal with on the track!

I don't think you can buy just the spring retainer, however. There is a "fastener kit" for the front brakes that will give you new spring retainers, retainer pins, and spring clips. You can get it for $57 from Paragon Products, and they should be able to FedEx to you before Friday. Local dealers would probably have them too.<ul><li><a href="http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/pp-944.351.952.01.htm">Caliper fastener kit</a></li></ul>
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Better safe than sorry is a better approach I suppose.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Id replace it...

... otherwise your pads are going to wear funny

The prior owner might have put it on there, it coulda popped out also.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HT-10s...?! woa... 8-O

How heavy is your beast again? (I guess I sort of recall you said you'll be running RA1s too...?)

I'm @ 2300lb and HP+ has lasted ~3 HPDEs w/ summer street tires (Kumho SPT). Tho I noticed faster wear last time w/ (older) Falken Azenis. Will be running w/ (new) Azenis this wkend. Spare sets of pads are already in the track box.

If people haven't already warned you.... Hawk brake dusts are PITA to clean off if they sat on the wheel for a while... esp if they get wet!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's about 2,900 lbs empty. I haven't been able to find a combo pad that...

... will work and HT-10 was rated as a moderate track pad (nothing crazy). I drove them around town yesterday (after bedding in) and I was surprised how well they clamped even when cold.

No doubt the RA1s are overkill for now, but the track wheels and tires kind of fell into my lap at the perfect time and at a fair price. I'll have to be careful with the brake dust b/c my intent is to make my street wheels into track wheels and vice versa. The RA1s are almost full tread, so they won't be as fast as they could be, but they'll be OK if the track is wet.

I learned from my Miata research that at some point wider tires actually work against you in rolling resistance, and it wouldn't shock me if I'd be better off with narrower tires. (My RA1s are 255s in back 235s up front. Optimally, I'd want 225s all around.)

Quick Reply: ISO ASE Certified Brake Tech/ Patent Lawyer (calling Jim).