Help! Noise from steering.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Noise from steering.....

Hi guys,
there is another question for you!
The Car is Audi 100 '89 with 120k miles and a new/rebuild power steering installed at 75k. miles. Right outher tie rod replaced 2 years ago. LEFT -replaced only 3-4 monts ago. Visually all steering connections look OK.
Now, every time i make a LEFT turn and when the steeering wheel is comming back to "straight" position i hear this "clunck" sound from the left side. I know, it sounds weird but i can't explain it better. It is just a short, 1 second noise from the left side, provoked by the steering wheel turning back to normal after a left turn. I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheet at any speed. But when i hear this sound i kind of feel a little, very short trembling in the steering. I don't know what it is, but it only happens on left turns or only when he car is still and working and i'm trying to move the steering to the left - just turn it 15 minutes to the left and back. It just makes that "clunck" for once when i try to move it. It sounds like something is loose somewhere on the left side of the car. But What is that?

I had this(i guess the same) noise before i replaced the Left tie rod(4 months ago) and after the new one was put, it was all quiet. Now, for the last 3-4 weeks i'm hearing it again more and more.
Do i need a new tie rod again? How often do these thing brake/fail???
I visually checked it, it was all durty from the mud comming from the tire, but when i cleaned it, the rubber part was new looking and fine. However it looked kinf of loosely attached.( i mean, there was a gap of ~ 1mm between the "rubber part" and the metal where the whole thing is attached) Can that happen(is it normal) and how should i fix it, is it possible? On The right side the whole tie rod assembly(attachment) doesn't look so loose.(no gaps) Or the noise is comming from somewhere else???.... tell me people!

Thanks again for your time!

DanA100
Old 01-14-2001, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Help! Noise from steering.....

which tie rod end did you replace, inner or outer on the left?
Perhaps the other is or was starting to wear also.
Did you use the right torque to tighten the tie rod end. Although it should not effect the steering too much in that way, how are you ball joints?

How much trouble was it to replace you tie rod end as I'm about to do mine?
Old 01-14-2001, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default need to check whether steering rack is properly bolted at

both ends or maybe one of the tie-rods is not properly tighten to the steering rack. In my case it has came loose. Infact my steering boot has been replaced previously - approx 3 years ago.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Help! Noise from steering.....

I replaced the left outher tie rod - my mechanic did it, so he should has used the right torque. Before the replacement the noise was there, then after the new one it wasn't there, now 3 months later it's back. That's why i suspected the tie rod. But it may not be the reason... Ball joints - good, visually.
I don't know how hard is to replace the tie rod, it shouldn't be much of a pain, but you really need to do the alignment after that. I spent ~$120+ for replacement and front alignment.