Miscellaneous - Archive The place to buy, sell, and trade anything non-Audi related.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Need some used car sales advice for plum A8W12

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some used car sales advice for plum A8W12

Recently inherited 2014 A8L W12 from father-in-law. He was a German car enthusiast and cared for his cars like children. The car has very low miles (16,000), driven in Florida for the last 2+ years and is in show room condition (literally). It has every option there is and the sticker price was over $150K. I realize it is a nice problem to have, but we really can't use the car. We already have cars we like and want to keep and as gorgeous as it is, it is simply just too big and "over the top" for us. I know there aren't many of these cars out there and for someone who is looking for a truly unique automobile it would be a fantastic value (the car is really like new). But our asking price of $62K has not attracted much serious interest, at least not by anyone interested in buying the car. There is plenty of interest otherwise. Can anyone out there offer me any advice about how we might attract a buyer for this fine automobile? Your help is enormously appreciated!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Not a salesman but my 0.02 dollars.

Problem with German cars is that they depreciate like no other. $62k for a 2014 A8L is a lot, if you ask me. I can get one that has done 20k miles for less than $50k. Like you said, it is a huge car. People who love driving would prefer something smaller, like an A6 or something since they are more manageable and more fun to drive. A8s are more to be driven in.
When you sell a car, you realize that low mileage doesn't help too much. For example, I sold my 2013 A6 3.0 with 18k miles for $33k whereas another friend sold his car (same specs as mine) with 40k miles for $31.5k.

But yes. The way I see it, the main problem is the price. I suggest you keep the car if you aren't worried about maintenance and such since the car is actually worth a lot more than $62k but you will not get that much (unless you are extremely lucky) if you try to sell it.