Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

Ducati vs. Japanese

Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducati vs. Japanese

Im looking at getting a sport bike again and would like to get a middleweight bike. What is everyone's take on a Ducati 848 evo vs. a big 4 Japanese 600/750. Obviously the 848 has a larger engine, not real concerned with that. But i guess im wondering if you feel the Ducati price premium is worth it and how the Ducati acts as a 'daily' motorcycle.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Ducati 848 is an awesome bike. Good V-twin pull, good Ducati sound with slipon or full exhaust, feels small and light!

That being said, I rode one a few years back side-by-side with my 2008 GSX-R 750 when on a ride with my buddy that owned the 848. Similar power, but the Ducs always seem to need 100cc more than an equivalent japanese bike. For a 'daily' sport motorcycle, you can't go wrong with a japanese 600/750. I've never thought the price premium for the Ducati was worth it, but I'm starting to think if i change to a more upright bike, a Ducati Monster one of the first I look at.

Go find an 848 to sit on, then go find your favorite Japanese middleweight and start there!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

I'm in the market for a new bike too. And was thinking panagale or Honda liter bike, CBR series. Like you I've been in love with the Ducati sport bike, but not sure if I'd love the v-twin power since all I've ever had was the inline 4. Ergo's on the Ducati is uncomfortable, from friends of mine that have had Ducati bikes. Then you get all the negatives about reliability and cost, but I think at least the reliability end of it is better on these latest gen bikes. I've decided to go with the Honda though. Save money, get just as good of bike for what I want to do, and have money left over for the exhaust system I know I'm going to want.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by burtonsbs5114
Im looking at getting a sport bike again and would like to get a middleweight bike. What is everyone's take on a Ducati 848 evo vs. a big 4 Japanese 600/750. Obviously the 848 has a larger engine, not real concerned with that. But i guess im wondering if you feel the Ducati price premium is worth it and how the Ducati acts as a 'daily' motorcycle.

I have owned and raced many GSXR bikes and when I hung all that up I bought the 848 Corse SE last year. While it's a very sharp machine and has a great deal of toys on it, it is a far cry from the power of the GSXR family.
GSXRs are a bit like point and shoot and hang on for dear life.
The Duc is more laid back and power delivery rolls on.

The bike I traded in was the 2009 GSXR1000 and I have to tell you I was shocked in the difference. Granted if I had bought the big brother Duc then maybe the shock wouldn't be so bad. But then again it's a cost issue then.

The Duc gives me attention and is a stable ride but the downside if there is one, is the heat. She is very hot to ride compared to an inline4.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default rider racer response

you buy HP but drive torque
a duc twin will need less revs and pull stumps
for the equal feel on a 4cyl you need to keep it higher in the rev band
brake late into the corner clip the apex and roll your wrist to happiness
Old 07-27-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

if you are looking at middle weight bikes you should definitely look at triumph. I have two 675s, a street triple that i use for normal cruising around and a daytona that i use for the track and occasionally for weekend fun. The 675 is a glorious engine, with a boatload of low/mid range power.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi! I'm new to Audis. I just bought an '06 3.2 A6. I had been studying A6's for about a year before frugally buying this one. I do my own work & have picked up the Bentley manual & the emanuals A6 manual. I've also a VAG VAS interface to monitor & diagnose the car. I always do my own work.

Anyway, I'm into vintage UJM bikes. I currently have a couple of 80's Suzuki GS's, an 1000G shaftie & an 1100GK tourer. Before them, I had a '77 Yamaha XS750 3cyl.

However, I crave an '05-06 Ducati 1000DS Multistrada. Soon, I'll have one.

There are a few guys that I know who have Multistradas, in addition to their old GS's. They each tell me that I'll love taking the Duc out to blow off some steam & cobwebs, but that I'll always choose the GS's for any allday stuff. They, universally, tell me that the Duc will beat me up too much.

Kinda reminds me of an old BSA single I had in the early 70's. I took it out every day that I could, for a 20-50mile ride. I always came back smiling because it was so visceral, but I would want to have driven it 400 miles in a day.

So, you have to figure our what you want to do with the bike & get the right mate.

I know, I will have that 10yr old Multistrada soon too!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to ride mostly in town then get the Duc. Loads more torque than the Japanese bikes.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by haloguy628
If you are going to ride mostly in town then get the Duc. Loads more torque than the Japanese bikes.
What he said...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
egp
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I'm not driving my Audi Q8, I am riding a Ducati Monster 1200S. Great bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ducati vs. Japanese