Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

Should I sell my 851?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my 851?

Two 851's have recently been bid up to over $7500 on ebay and both had far more mileage than mine and don't seem any cleaner. Plus I have a fair number of extras. I bought the 851 for 9 grand probably 9 years ago. It was never my only bike so I've only put 8k miles on it myself for a total of 9k miles. I really don't want to sell it but parts are getting harder and harder to find and I sometimes wonder if I'd ride more without the fear of something irreplaceable breaking. Last time I decided to sell it 3 years ago, I was offered within $100 of my asking and turned it down and that was less than what they are being bid too now.

If I sold it, I'd probably get an 848. Or if I could find a clean 998 maybe that.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like that last post of your got you thinkin

if you want to meet up and ride sometime lemme know. if your lucky my buddy might let you ride his 1098.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Default Well...

...that's a hard one to answer. Bikes, to me, are much more about emotion than money. If that particular bikes means a lot to you, and you feel you have a connection to it, then keep it for as long as you can. If you're more worried about fixing it or finding parts for it and have no problem, or are actually looking forward to, upgrading to a newer model...then go for it. You're a Duc guy, which I have a hard time relating to, and I don't know your financial situation...but Ducatis are expensive no matter what model you have or parts you need. If money is an issue, then another Duc isn't a good option. Getting a 848 would mean easily accessible parts but they're fvckin' expensive. I can definitely identify with being wary of breaking something that's too difficult/expensive to repair, though.

You said the 851 isn't your only bike? Do you have another sportbike that you ride on a more regular basis? If it were me, and I had the resources to do so, I would buy a good condition used 2003+ Japanese 600 to beat on. Super reliable, highly available parts that aren't too expensive (older than 2008 at least), and extremely capable machines in the handling/performance department. Put some aftermarket plastics on it and frame sliders and you don't have to worry as much about breaking/rashing parts. Save the Ducs for "cruising" ; )
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you want the best of both worlds try to find a rc51, low maint hanldes like a duc
Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would like to upgrade to a newer bike but I do have a strong emotional attachment to the 851

Finances aren't really an issue (or at least won't be soon when I'm back to private work). I don't even mind paying for the maintenance on the 851 ($500-700 every 3k miles or so). Maintenance intervals on the newer Ducks are every 7500 miles so even if the rate was the same that would be an improvement. My wife has a 620 Monster so I ride that sometimes and I used to have a Honda Nighthawk as a "running around town" bike.

If something mechanical breaks in the motor, like throwing a valve, I probably won't be able to find parts. Hell, 851's were low production and Ducati often modified parts in the middle of a run of bikes. I've only seen two other 1991 851's and both were different than my bike. For example, my bike has a cantilever shock mount with two mounting positions so you can change the ratio and the other 851's didn't have that but one had a different swingarm than me. All stock parts in those respects but built different. Very odd.

I just think that if I bought another sportbike (Ducati or other) I would end up riding the modern bike most of the time and the 851 would just sit. My 851 is too damn loud too. I have to wear earplugs.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ebay got me thinking.

For whatever reason, 851 prices are higher now than they were 2 years ago and that's for 2 bikes that have way more mileage than mine. If I throw or valve or something like that, I'll never find replacement parts. That makes me nervous sometimes when I'm riding hard. Someone from an 851 owners forum blew up their motor and had to replace it with a newer motor. While I like the idea of throwing a 996 engine into my bike, I think I would always think of it as chopped together after that. Sometimes I start thinking it might be nice to have a bike that you know you can get parts for in an emergency even if it isn't quite as special. I've only seen 2 or 3 other 851's in the time I've owned mine. I'll probably end up keeping it in the end.

Where do you usually go riding?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMO, I'd pickup a newer 848, 999 or 1098, finances depending. Older 999's are going cheap these days

The Ferrari's of bikes are becoming much more affordable.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Default 2nd..

Had to restrain myself from picking up a 1098 at the dealer last time I was there
Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If I had $15k in play cash, I think I know where it'd go too!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my friend is on ebay all day says the 851's are in the teens? I told him I told you

he might let you ride his bike. then again thats up to him. maybe hell sell you his. he kinda wants a 1098s but i told him he needs to learn to ride harder first.

he wants the ohlins(thinking it will ride smoother) it will be opposite though

we ride all over. me and my bud with the duc ride about 4 tyimes a week 2 months straight so far. Im trying to teach him apex's and ****.

if you ever want to meet up and show us some roads or vice versa id be happy to meet up with ya.

email me and well hook up. my buddy said hell help you sell that ducati.(he has friends who just buy them up)

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 851?